Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Braggot Help Needed

Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
TheDPR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Braggot Help Needed

1 Gallon Batch competition with a friend.

Want to try All Grain for the first time for such a small batch (I'm a stove top extract brewer at the moment).

.75 Wheat Malt
.5 Pilsner
.2 Crystal 80 (I want it a bit darker)
1.5lb local honey
.5oz Fuggles for full boil
American Wheat Yeast

Am I going the right direction?

Also, will I need nutrient or energizer?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Fathand
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually made a similar braggot a few years ago when I was brewing a Hefe and had about a gallon of extra wort. My wort was...

60% Wheat
32% Pils
8% Munich

OG of wort was 1.030
OG w/ honey was 1.090
FG was 1.018

Hopped with .25 oz of Tettnang @ 60 mins, added 2 lbs of clover honey once chilled and used K1V wine yeast. One of the best things I've brewed.

Your recipe looks good to me. The only comment I would make is that Fuggle is not traditionally a hop used in wheat beers and it is also not traditionally used for bittering. But that is the best thing about this hobby - experimentation.

As far as nutrient I would say add it. What you can also do is add the honey in stages once fermentation has begun as not to stress the yeast up front.

TheDPR Likes This 
Old 10-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
TheDPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
I actually made a similar braggot a few years ago when I was brewing a Hefe and had about a gallon of extra wort. My wort was...

60% Wheat
32% Pils
8% Munich

OG of wort was 1.030
OG w/ honey was 1.090
FG was 1.018

Hopped with .25 oz of Tettnang @ 60 mins, added 2 lbs of clover honey once chilled and used K1V wine yeast. One of the best things I've brewed.

Your recipe looks good to me. The only comment I would make is that Fuggle is not traditionally a hop used in wheat beers and it is also not traditionally used for bittering. But that is the best thing about this hobby - experimentation.

As far as nutrient I would say add it. What you can also do is add the honey in stages once fermentation has begun as not to stress the yeast up front.
Good call on the hops, not sure why I had Fuggles in mind.

I think I already have nutrient so that will be easy.

I thought about a wine yeast, but I'm shooting for more of a beer profile... need to make sure the yeast can handle the ABV though.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
TheDPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, I've tweaked a bit and need more advice.

New recipe plan:

1.4lbs White wheat malt
1.2lbs Pilsner malt
.4Lbs Crystal 80
1lb Orange blossom honey
.5oz Tettnanger
WLP320 American wheat yeast.

Shooting for 1gal in the fermenter and using a BIAB method. I plan on adding the honey at flameout. Will use yeast nutritient.

Would this be ready say late March for Game of Thrones? After 10 weeks of bottle conditioning and 2+ months of bulk aging?