Cider Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
I have made ~4 batches of cider so far but have just started creating starters for my beer. I previously would pitch dry or just use yeast once.

My main question is do you guys (and gals) do starters for ur cider? How long do u normally let them go for? What's your pitch size?

Thanks for all the help

No starters for me, just the ol' hydrate and pitch. Some folks do make a LME/DME starter though, others will use juice with yeast energizer.

I make starters for beer, but I've never needed one for cider. I don't think it's necessary. I too just hydrate and pitch.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the fact that cider is primarily simple sugars means the yeast begun to thrive much more readily without the need for a starter.

I do starters for all my ciders. I usually create a very large starter using DME, cold crash for 12 hours and pour off all the liquid. Half goes into a baby food jar for the next starter and half goes in the cider I'm making. I have noticed the larger the starter the less "rhino farts" I get. I did 16 gallons of cider this year off one packet of Nottingham with this method.

Back