Candi Sugar = Caramel substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have all the ingredients for a St. Bernadus ABT 12 clone (Belgian quadrouple). However, through reading "Brew Like a Monk" I learned that the candi sugar (rocks) that I got at my LHBS is not authentic candi sugar and there is actually a significant difference. True belgian candi sugar is "class III caramel." I've seen recipes for making the authentic stuff, but they say that it is a difficult process and takes trial and error to get something good tasting.

So I happen to have store bought squares of chewy caramels. What would happen if I threw them in the boil to substitute some of the "candi sugar"/rocks that I got from my LHBS? I know this is not authentic candi sugar since candi sugar is supposed to be liquid, and I have no idea what "class" these caramels are, or what that even means. But it is some form of caramel at least. Has anyone ever done this?

The issue with throwing chewy caramels in the boil is they usually contain milk or oily ingredients. This can kill head retention at best, and at worst I think (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it can become rancid.

The issue with throwing chewy caramels in the boil is they usually contain milk or oily ingredients. This can kill head retention at best, and at worst I think (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it can become rancid.

and contains oils... and artificial flavorings, etc.

MC

Ok I thought it was too good to be true. Thanks for the quick replies!

Is this the caramel or candi syrup your looking for:

Candi Syrup

I've used it in Caramel Amber Ale and it is truly delicious, and very simple to make.

Ryanbrews has a slightly different take on it, using some calcium hydroxide to bring the pH up. I leave it as a thinnish syrup, just pour it into the wort.

Thinking of doing a St Bernadus prior 8 clone. Was planning on using this

http://morebeer.com/products/adjunct-belgian-candi-syrup-dark.html

would it be better to make my own candi sugar. Would they use plain sugar, i would have thought demerara or some similar unrefined sugar would be a better starting point. But maybe not.

Wow, I didn't know you could buy that! Thanks, I just ordered it. I have no idea what demerara is, but they do use sucrose. Its usually beet sugar (because that is what is available to them), but it is chemically identical to table sugar. However, the regular sugar will not replace the candi sugar. The candi sugar adds a unique flavor.

Back