First AG American Stout in 5 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawfman

Reaction score
I've only brewed a stout one other time in all of my homebrewing "career"

I am roughly going from Jamils American Stout recipe in Brewing Classic Styles but tweaking it a bit based on my efficiency and ingredients on hand.

I just want to make sure I'm not crazy and going to ruin this thing. I'm mainly concerned about the brain bill.

14# 2 Row
14 oz. Muntons Roasted Black Barley (500L)
12 oz. Briess Choc. Malt (350L)
8 oz. Crystal 90

For hops, I plan on bittering with Warrior and then using an equal amount of Chinook and Galaxy for flavoring and aroma. Target IBU is around 70.

The grain bill puts me at 1.078 for Orig Gravity and 44.5 for color. Both are a little over, but i'm not overly concerned about that.

Thanks! :mug:

70 IBU seems a little much to me for a stout: do you like them bitter? With all that bite it might be tough to taste the nice roasty malt profile..

Caveat, I've never brewed an American Stout, so take that for what it's worth.

I think you're right on target. I'd probably throw a little Munich, Victory, or Biscuit in there myself, just for a little extra malt character (or switch to an English base malt), but that's my preference, and I've never brewed the style so again take it for what it's worth. I think that 70 IBUs is probably about where you want it when you're a little over for your OG. As far as color, I tend to find once you get into the mid 30's, they all look like "black" anyway, so you'd probably never tell the difference.

Actually, I kinda like your "brain bill." ;)

You have a pretty small amount of crystal malt, so I might plan on boiling a little longer, or mashing around 154 or so, to give a little more sweetness and body to balance things out. Otherwise, looks just fine, but American stouts come in several interpretations, and we don't really know what you're after exactly.

I plan on mashing at 154 and have thought of bumping the crystal up as well.

Back