How will this brew turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agentx07

Reaction score
Brewed this up Sunday 9/1:

4 lb Golden light DME
3 lb Bavarian Wheat DME
.5 lb Dextrose

steeped 1 lb Munich L10

Hops:

1 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Citra 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10 min
.5 oz Citra 10 min
.5 oz Amarillo 5 min
.5 oz Citra 5 min
.5 oz Amirillo 0 min
.5 oz Citra 0 min

Dry hop: 7 days
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz citra

Safale US-05

OG = 1.063

Opened up fermenting bucket to take gravity reading and put in dry hops. Low and behold a grasshopper was floating on top! Brewed outside and must of made a last ditch effort for my unfermented beer! Now I think a have a new name for the brew. Thoughts...

FG:1.012

Grassy Hop Head? Grasshoppy IPA? Hoppy Hoppergrass? Hopped Grasser? You could go nuts with this! :)

It'll be fine, man.

Bottled on 9/21.
Only got 16(22oz) 6(15.5oz) and 10(12oz) out of this batch. A lot of trub on bottom.
Will call it Grasshopper Head Wheat IPA.
Now the wait.

So it's been 2 weeks in the bottles. Put one in the fridge and tested it out. Holy crap! Explosion of Mango, orange & pine with good head retention and lacing. Not a bitter bite on the front end like I was expecting. But easy drinking. Should let them sit another week before I throw a bunch in the fridge and see what happens to the crazy hop flavors!

Citra and Amarillo seem to play well together. I kegged a pale yesterday that used those two for flavor/aroma. Citrusy, kind of like grapefruit, is how the sample tasted.

You can simplify that late-in-the-boil citra/amarillo hop schedule next time if you want to make life a bit easier. An ounce of each @ 10 and the same at 0 will give you the same sort of character.

"Extra Hoppy IPA"

I think that young beer always tastes better if you can let it sit just a little while longer. But then, I don't usually have the patience for that...

Yes! More time in the bottles before putting in the fridge will do. I will try the 10 min then 0 min additions on my next batch. People really liked the Zombie Dust clone I made for the golf league. They should like this on also. There isn't that harsh bitter bite in the beginning that most people are scared of. I like a little more bite, so guess will have to put in more oz's @ 60 min addition.

Here is a picture of the new brew!

2013-10-07_Homebrew.jpg

Latest posts

Back