House Rye IPA Try #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
So I have been working on a house IPA and the first two attempts were good, but not great (I demand perfection dammit! even if I can't do it myself).

The first attempt came out too low on malt, the second too high (learned my lesson about using too much Melanoidin and Munich) and darker than I wanted.

This is attempt #3, the first two had the same hop schedule which was nice but more appropriate for an English IPA. This attempt will be more of a hop burst trying to get lots of flavor and aroma.

Name: Sculpture Rye IPA
Grain Bill:
9.5 lb Pale 2-Row
1.75 lb Rye
12 oz Melanoidin
8 oz CaraFoam

Mash with 4.25 gallons water at 150F until starch is converted (about 30-45 minutes)
Sparge with 4 gallons 170F water.

Hop schedule:
1.5 oz Citra 15 Minutes
1 oz Amarillo 15 Minutes
0.5 oz Citra 10 Minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo 10 Minutes
1 oz Citra 5 Minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo 5 Minutes
1 oz Citra 2 Minutes
1 oz Amarillo 2 Minutes

Cool down to 70F and pitch yeast (do a 2 qt starter a day before).
Yeast: WLP051 California V Ale

Primary fermentation: 7 days @ 62°F
Dry Hop: 1 oz Citra
1 oz Amarillo
Secondary fermentation: 7 days @ 65°F
Bottle and store for 3 weeks before consuming.

what is the expected IBU? OG?

I would add a 60 min addition.

Grain bill looks pretty good. I have never used that much rye before. I think you should probably consider some rice hulls. Rye tends to make the mash clog.

What have you changed since your first and second batch?

what is the expected IBU? OG?

I would add a 60 min addition.

Grain bill looks pretty good. I have never used that much rye before. I think you should probably consider some rice hulls. Rye tends to make the mash clog.

What have you changed since your first and second batch?

Sorry about that:
Expected IBU: 69.32
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016

I don't have my old recipes with me (at work), but the second one was about 1.07 OG with 1 lb of Melanoidin :eek:
Reading a bit more now I think I would change the recipe to only be about 2% Melanoidin (replace the 12 oz about with 4 oz Melanoidin and 6 oz Crystal 40L)

id suggest a 20-30 minute hop stand with your 2min addition. kill the flame, cool the wort to around 160° and add those hops and let them sit or stir them occasionally for 20-30min

Back