Weird film on wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geologyguy

Reaction score
So I brewed a APA. Used my new system which was two kegs. One for my hlt and other my brew kettle. There was a film on the hlt water. The after I mashed and before boiling I noticed the film again. Does anyone know what it could be? Will it affect my beer? Picture below is the film on tip of wort. Thanks

ForumRunner_20130717_160308.jpg

Looks like calcium or other minerals that came out of solution. How does the water taste and smell? I see it in my house in our basement toilet that is rarely used. As it is pre-boil, if it were organic it will be dead-ified regardless. If it is mineral, probably will make it taste more British or German :)

Looks like calcium or other minerals that came out of solution. How does the water taste and smell? I see it in my house in our basement toilet that is rarely used. As it is pre-boil, if it were organic it will be dead-ified regardless. If it is mineral, probably will make it taste more British or German :)

Awesome thank you we do have hard water here 220 ppm calcium!!!!!! I will take the German taste!

undissolved minerals rarely float. I would guess a film would be soap residue from not having rinsed after cleaning, or maybe manufacturing oil if your HLT is brand new and wasn't cleaned before use. If not, and it tastes fine, I'm sure you're fine.

Back