Newbie help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thudstrum

Reaction score
Hi all- I am wondering if anyone has ever had issue when using DME instead of LME? I've had two batches recently come out somewhat salty and just gross. Without boring you with all the details the most recent was a Indian brown ale DFH clone. I followed the recipe from Sam's book to a T. The OG/FG came out. After bottling it is not carbonated as much and is salty. The only thing I can think went wrong was that I didn't prepare a starter (last time for that). Any advice or input is appreciated.

I made a really gross batch of beer a few years back that was often described as 'salty'. This was before I had any sort of temperature control - so i chalked it up to that. What was your fermentation temp like? I think DME is typically better than LME, so i'm not sure that would be the source.

I really prefer DME to LME - you don't have the scorching concerns, and it doesn't stale as easily. It's pretty much a given that your salty issue did NOT come from using DME.

I'd look at yeast health and temperature control as your primary culprits.

could be your water... are you making ay corrections? do you have your local water report?

LME can be better than DMA - when fresh. problem is that a lot of LME out there isn't fresh, so DME is typically the safer way to go. it doesn't stale nearly as quickly.

I've had two batches recently come out somewhat salty and just gross.

I had the same result as I used DME for brewing my previous batches .

The problem was that it was the product of an Indian malting Company and contained high degrees of

Sodium Bicarbonates as it was produced for baking industry .

You can also test your DME :

Taste just a little of the powder . If it also contains high degrees of Sodium salt , you feel a bit more on the sides of your Tongue right afterwards and then a little sweetness on the front of it .

Hector

I use Munton's plain DME most of the time. I like the English malt flavors from it & a combo of English grain malts,like their Pale Malt & Marris Otter.
Cheaper/off brand DME's might contain sodium,but I've never encountered it. What's in your tap water is also of concern. If it doesn't make good tasting beer,all other things being equal,then use some RO water,spring water,or even distilled. See if those taste better.

Back