Help! Carboy cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Reaction score
I have a glass carboy (5 gallon) and I have got crusted yeast cake / residue deposits at the bottom of the carboy and on the sides (inside) where the wort level was for my last batch. I have tried carboy cleaners but have not been able to take off all the residue. (There is not a tremendous amount, but it still is not 100% clean). Do I need to bother about this (provided I star-san the carboy) or is there anything you can suggest to help me clean it?

For particularly nasty carboys, I'll let them sit overnight full of hot water and OxyClean. That and some vigorous sloshing usually does the trick.

Since your carboy is glass, you can also use a carboy brush to get at the rings.

In any case, you should absolutely get the carboy clean before you use it again. Starsan will do you no good if the carboy is dirty. I always remember the saying "You can't sanitize sh*t".

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back