Side-effects from letting wort sit for a week before pitching? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Side-effects from letting wort sit for a week before pitching?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Wichita, KS
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Due to stuff happening, my wort sat for about a week before I was able to pitch the yeast. Luckily it was not infected. I'm made this same recipe about 4 times now but this batch tastes off.

Is there some nasty side-effect that happens if you don't pitch within 24 hours? The beer actually hit the estimated FG so O2 doesn't seem to have been an issue.
Bottled: Summer Dea Wheat

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts

Infection is all I 've ever heard of...that and setting a world record

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
sptaylor70
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts

I'm not aware of any effects other than the propensity for undesirable microorganisms to start growing.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
LovesIPA
Recipes 

May 2012
Sacramento, CA
Liked 204 Times on 153 Posts

The biggest risk is botulism poisoning, which can be fatal. I don't know how high the risk is, but personally, I wouldn't get that beer anywhere near my lips.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
jakenbacon
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Glendale, AZ
Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts

If you hit your FG then you have nothing to worry about. Nothing harmful could live in the alcohol that you made...

Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
stpug
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 665 Times on 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
The biggest risk is botulism poisoning, which can be fatal. I don't know how high the risk is, but personally, I wouldn't get that beer anywhere near my lips.
This is not perfect but my understanding is basically this:
Botulism sporification is what's harmful. Botulism bacteria require a completely oxygen-free environment for sporification. The slight bit of oxygen will keep the botulism bacteria from producing spores. Environments capable of fermentation are not good environments for the sporification of botulism due to competitive bacteria and oxygen. Canning is a great environment for botulism; an environment where the oxygen has been removed and all other bacteria have been killed. Botulism bacteria is present on many natural products we eat; honey being the most well known for containing high levels of botulism bacteria.

In regards to the OP question: I still very possible you had or have an infection or wild fermentation playing with your normal fermentation due to the long idle period. Keep an eye on your FG and see if it continues to creep lower.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Magic8Ball
Recipes 

May 2013
Benton County, Arkansas
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
Due to stuff happening, my wort sat for about a week before I was able to pitch the yeast. Luckily it was not infected. I'm made this same recipe about 4 times now but this batch tastes off.

Is there some nasty side-effect that happens if you don't pitch within 24 hours? The beer actually hit the estimated FG so O2 doesn't seem to have been an issue.
What off flavors are you picking up? The off taste may have nothing to do with a late yeast pitch or maybe it does?

If you give the yeasties time they will often clean up most off flavors. Relax Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew

Nice guide to read while you are waiting regarding off flavors from more beer

Good Luck M8B

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3669 Times on 3153 Posts

It depends on what created the off flavors. If it was created by sporatazoa,you could have problems. Under normal infection circumstances,you'd see it growing on top,as they need o2 to propogate. Microbes can be quite the opposite.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Joliet, IL
Liked 1114 Times on 587 Posts

You probably had some wild yeasts in there and they had a week to do their thing before the regular beer yeasts showed up.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Wichita, KS
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had another homebrewer over last night. We both classified it as a "metallic" taste. Gonna keep it under pressure for another month and see if time cures it.
Bottled: Summer Dea Wheat