Brew kettle whilrpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdpotter01

Reaction score
I've built my all grain stainless system from scratch by just doing tours at about a dozen different breweries. The one question I still have to find an answer for is, when is the appropriate time to start the whirlpool in my brew kettle? On my nano pump I've shortened the headspace to roughly 4 feet so at full bore we are pushing 10 gallons a minute. I'm planning on running boiling water through it at the beginning or the brew, as well as the counterflow chiller and oxygenation manifold out to our fermenter. Would it be better to start the whirlpool when there's about 5 minutes left in the boil or just wait until the boil is over so the hot break and hops get a chance to settle out? If anyone has any links, I would love to read some good info on this! Thanks,

The answer may be different for a professional brewery. Me, I do this after the boil for the flameout additions.

Wait until the boil is over, Hit it with the whirlpool pump for 5 and sit for 20. You'll have a nice trub cone.

Cheers fellow homebrewers! I knew that I'd be able to find a nice concise answer on here. 10 gallons of summer ale to bottle this weekend and brewing a 10 gallon traditional all grain witbier next weekend. Bottoms up everyone!

Latest posts

Back