4 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipEymann

Reaction score
Anybody know of a cheap basic recipe to do a 4 gallon batch that has a some hops in it

Thanks
Just a beginner

all-grain, you could do an apa with 2-row and a little crystal malt, cascade hops, and us-05. something like:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale 2 row US
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 20L
0.80 oz Cascade @60
0.70 oz Cascade @20
0.50 oz Cascade (Dry Hop 7 days)
1 Pkgs US-05 Yeast-Ale

this will get you around 6-6.2%, depending on efficiency, and around 35 ibu

Try a Pale wheat with some american 2 row and white wheat. Pick some low alpha hops like cascade or willamette.

Thanks for the input I was kinda thinking
5lbs Dme
Plus some hops

Sorry my fault should have explained it better
Just starting out thanks

That's actually a good opportunity to try a SMaSH beer (single malt and single hop). It's a good way to try out the different hops and figure out which ones you like best.

That's actually a good opportunity to try a SMaSH beer (single malt and single hop). It's a good way to try out the different hops and figure out which ones you like best.

I'm a new brewer, but it's my understanding that it's tough to do a SMaSH (Single Malt, Single Hop) beer from extract as most extracts contain multiple malts.

That said, any DME will work and any hop will work. It all depends on what style/flavor you're going for, how bitter you like your beer, etc., etc..

For brand new brewers, steeping grains (like caramel/crystal malt) are really easy to incorporate and can help improve the quality of the finished product, though they aren't necessary. Some very good beers can be made from extract and hops alone.

It really is up to you. Read up on some hop varieties, decide what you might like to try, and go for it!

Cheers!

Chip, give us a little more information, and we ought to be able to get a recipe suited to your liking. What equipment do you have? How many batches do you have under your belt, if any? What beers do you typically enjoy?

Since the header of the thread says "4 gallon batch" I'm just going to comment that any recipe can be modified for any size just in case the OP was looking for recipes specifically written for a 4 gallon size (of which there probably aren't any).

I apologize if that was obvious.

On another thread a recipe was improvised

4 gallon batch:
1 kilo light DME
1 kilo dark DME
0.5 oz target at 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 0 min
ferment with Safale S-05

to use the ingredients the poster had on hand. However, I'd just find an extract recipe that looks good and adjust to 4 gallons.

Latest posts

Back