Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually gotten great response. It's basically the same 10 people being addressed, and most of them don't have e-mail. It's posted on the doors now too.

Email etiquette:

-If you left me a voicemail, there is no need to send me an email saying you left me a voicemail.

I do this. And the reason is that I know I may miss voicemail for 2-3 days on a regular basis (on my desk phone; my cell has it immediately). And if I'm traveling, it could be a week or more.

It's 2015. You can stop putting "Microsoft Office" under "other skills" on your resume. We sure hope you know how to use Word.

Once had an applicant claim to be "Very proficient at MS Excel", which happened to be very important to the job.

I gave her a very simple test during the interview: a column of numbers, and asked her to find the sum of the column, average, etc.

Applicant pulls out her iphone, and starts adding the numbers by hand.

Me: I thought you knew Excel pretty well?

Applicant: Oh, this is what Excel is? I thought it was the little blue "e" that takes you to the internet.

:drunk:

Once had an applicant claim to be "Very proficient at MS Excel", which happened to be very important to the job.

I gave her a very simple test during the interview: a column of numbers, and asked her to find the sum of the column, average, etc.

Applicant: Oh, this is what Excel is? I thought it was the little blue "e" that takes you to the internet.

It's really obvious when someone manually totals stuff, too.

It also never ceases to amaze me how often someone selects the wrong tool for the job, like sending a Word document with a table of numbers in it instead of using Excel.

Also, the more I mull it over, there are some aspects of some versions of the office suite that would make sense to highlight for certain positions. (i.e. specifically mentioning Visio if it's relevant.) As a broad, sweeping statement, however, it's generally still accurate that you don't need Office on your resume.

Oh, and don't PDF your Word document and send it over to me for edits.

Yeah, but was she hot?

Is everything a thing? Because that is what annoys me about them. Everything.

Just kidding. I'm too busy doing their work to be annoyed with the work they aren't doing.

That is hilarious. Good for you. You know how to get on the Internet.

It's 2015. You can stop putting "Microsoft Office" under "other skills" on your resume. We sure hope you know how to use Word.

Actually not so much. There are a lot of people who do not know how to use them. It is quite discouraging when you see a competent resume and realize within 5 minutes of talking to the person that their computer knowledge is facebook and google.

Actually not so much. There are a lot of people who do not know how to use them. It is quite discouraging when you see a competent resume and realize within 5 minutes of talking to the person that their computer knowledge is facebook and google.

Sadly, yep. Heard Overpaid Person #3 in office next to me today say, "ok... so how do I open that in paint?". But oh... she is just SO tech savvy. Bitter? I'm not bitter. She has "experience".

Me: dude, there is piss all over the toilet seat. did you do that?
Brad: I don't know. it might have been.
Me: You were in the bathroom right before me. why didn't you just grab some TP and wipe it up? (at this point I was still being somewhat lighthearted about it)

and then....

Brad: cause man the flu is going around and its bad. I'm not going to touch that toilet seat. everyone has been on that thing.

Serious.

Me: dude, there is piss all over the toilet seat. did you do that?
Brad: I don't know. it might have been.
Me: You were in the bathroom right before me. why didn't you just grab some TP and wipe it up? (at this point I was still being somewhat lighthearted about it)

and then....

Brad: cause man the flu is going around and its bad. I'm not going to touch that toilet seat. everyone has been on that thing.

Serious.

He's got a point... my wife got gonorrhea from a bus seat.

So why not just scrap the voicemail and handle it all via email in the first place?

Because I called them. I would have rather talked to them in person. It's more personal. But they didn't pick up.

A lot of people have caller ID or will see a missed call, and then I'm the guy who called but didn't think highly enough of them to leave a message. I don't want to be that guy.

So rather than "call me back", which could end up in days of phone tag, I let them know via voicemail that I called and a short description of what it was about, and mention I'll follow up with an email.

It gives the personal touch that email lacks, even though it will probably be handled over email anyway...

It's really obvious when someone manually totals stuff, too.

It also never ceases to amaze me how often someone selects the wrong tool for the job, like sending a Word document with a table of numbers in it instead of using Excel.

Also, the more I mull it over, there are some aspects of some versions of the office suite that would make sense to highlight for certain positions. (i.e. specifically mentioning Visio if it's relevant.) As a broad, sweeping statement, however, it's generally still accurate that you don't need Office on your resume.

Oh, and don't PDF your Word document and send it over to me for edits.

We have gotten a few resumes that are a picture taken with their phone of their printed resume then attached to the email they sent us. Really? How are we to take you seriously. Kind of suprised we have not gotten any "selfies" with them holding their resume.

We have gotten a few resumes that are a picture taken with their phone of their printed resume then attached to the email they sent us. Really? How are we to take you seriously. Kind of suprised we have not gotten any "selfies" with them holding their resume.

Maybe they are just resourceful. Solving a problem with what they have on hand. Nah. Just lazy or dumb most likely. Not caring how they present themselves. On a side note; what if they took a picture of the resume, converted it to a PDF, then sent it? That might be the one you really want because they can really solve a problem with good results. They would deliver what is expected with the minimum effort.

ASAP.

Okay. You'll get it later in the week. That's the soonest I can get to it. If you wanted it by the end of day, you should have said so, and sent it a few days ago.

the a$$ kissers. we have a few, but the worst is a guy that didn't get the promotion he wanted. he went from welder (not a very good one) to break press operator, to plate laser operator and thought he was gonna become the floor supervisor a/k/a Assistant Manager since that was the same path our old one went. he's the kind of guy that thinks everyone else is stupid and he's the only guy in the entire company with common sense. he likes to run the plate laser faster on the heavier plate so it gets done faster, which leaves wavy edges and bad start/stops with blow back. then he sits back and claims the machine is a pile of junk because he can't cut 10ga and 1" plate at the same speeds.

the a$$ kissers. we have a few, but the worst is a guy that didn't get the promotion he wanted. he went from welder (not a very good one) to break press operator, to plate laser operator and thought he was gonna become the floor supervisor a/k/a Assistant Manager since that was the same path our old one went. he's the kind of guy that thinks everyone else is stupid and he's the only guy in the entire company with common sense. he likes to run the plate laser faster on the heavier plate so it gets done faster, which leaves wavy edges and bad start/stops with blow back. then he sits back and claims the machine is a pile of junk because he can't cut 10ga and 1" plate at the same speeds.

This is the young engineer in the office next to me. Cocky as HELL, fresh out of school that his parents paid for and drives the car his dad bought him for graduation. Get this... overheard him saying "my machine shop" and he orders people around instead of asking them. Nobody likes him, and if the shop heard him say they worked under him? A slow death.

I asked him a 'yes or no' question related to a drawing he wanted me to do, since he was too busy watching youtube videos about some computer game, and he sighed before coming to my office. He then proceeded to explain to me how to draw a hex nut. I slid my chair back and let him stand there and draw the hex for me while I drank my coffee. It was nice to have someone draw my millionth hex for me, it was becoming tiresome.

The people that come into the office with the latest flu. We have the tools and technology to work remote yet they come in coughing, sneezing, and breathing when sick. STAY THE FLOCC HOME!

This is the young engineer in the office next to me. Cocky as HELL, fresh out of school that his parents paid for and drives the car his dad bought him for graduation. Get this... overheard him saying "my machine shop" and he orders people around instead of asking them. Nobody likes him, and if the shop heard him say they worked under him? A slow death.

I asked him a 'yes or no' question related to a drawing he wanted me to do, since he was too busy watching youtube videos about some computer game, and he sighed before coming to my office. He then proceeded to explain to me how to draw a hex nut. I slid my chair back and let him stand there and draw the hex for me while I drank my coffee. It was nice to have someone draw my millionth hex for me, it was becoming tiresome.

Young engineer here, 25, can't stand engineers like this. First internship I had was at a small automation shop. The owner started me out being the machine shops beeotch. Learned more than I ever could. When I messed up the shop guys would belittle me till I wanted to die. Quick way to only make a mistake once and always ask. Started designing 10% of the time while having to build everything I designed while still catching flack for everything, slowly gaining the respect of the older shop guys.
Second internship there was 50/50 shop and design. Still caught a lot of crap but started getting really close to everyone there.
Graduated college and they took me on full time. It was my dream job perfect balance of desk and shop time. Two years in the one owner steals all the money from the other.

I think all engineers need to work a good long while in a shop before touching a computer

Actually just had this conversation with my superior (I work on a help desk and this guy has worked here for at least a decade)

Me: I swear J is helpless. He just called up asking how to find PST files. Isn’t that basic HD knowledge? Shouldn’t he have helped people with that a time or two or at least enough to remember how to find files?
Him: You guys continue to send him to support thing you know that he wont do correctly or will call back and make us look bad on them. Why don't you only send him to do hardware installs? Monitor fixes etc.
make him do ALL the CD burns and PW changes
Me: We shouldn’t have to filter out which calls he goes on. He should be competent enough to handle 75% of the calls we get (and that is being generous) instead of just being a warm body that does tasks that even an intern would be capable of doing without training.
Him: and he is not so............................................
Me: So, why the heck is he still here? there have been several HD people who have been removed from here for less.. Sorry I am complaining, its just frustrating that someone can actually be so much of a drain on productivity and not be management by now
Him: he is a GS-__
they were not
Me: Perception = reality I know. but when customers call up asking to speak with anyone but someone in particular you know there is a problem. Not to mention hearing "I spoke with J earlier and he couldnt fix it" (with no troubleshooting done or things are worse because he blundered around on it. No documentation either)

I think all engineers need to work a good long while in a shop before touching a computer

Right on man. I'm not even in the field I dreamed and studied for years to be in, it just happened and I fit in right. I've enough experience in so many other jobs working with such different people, that though I sit in the office with the suits... I feel I belong in the shop with the people doing the dirty work. The end of this year I'll have the "experience" that most jobs require, if I'm still just a jockey to them by then they will have a massive hole in their business to fill when I leave for my dream job.

It is nice. I had someone explain to me how I should do something today and I just couldn't understand for the life of me what he was explaining and needed a visual representation. Very good day at work learning what he was teaching me, I would've never been able to do the job I was in charge of without him!

Put your fist in this bucket of water.
Now take it out.
Is there a hole in the water?
In theory, I understand the point you're trying to make.

But in practice, and coming from a similar work background to theCADJockey, a good draftsman is hard to find. A good draftsman that has a working knowledge of the operations (drawing standards, work flows, etc.) of your company is next to impossible to find on two weeks notice. My direct supervisor formerly worked in a factory setting; his theory was it takes three years for an employee to truly learn the ins and outs of your company and his/her job. Even a good, experienced draftsman coming from another company is going to take 6 months to truly learn the 'standard drawings', parts number system, etc.

I don't mean to sound self-important, but I know exactly what theCADjockey is saying. If I handed in my two weeks notice tomorrow, my boss would have a heart attack, because me walking out the door would cripple our department - and our plan sets take MONTHS to develop (Civil engineering field). You take an employee that you rely on to bang out multiple drawings every day, and him/her walking out the door on short notice can be devastating.

Young engineer here, 25, can't stand engineers like this. First internship I had was at a small automation shop. The owner started me out being the machine shops beeotch. Learned more than I ever could. When I messed up the shop guys would belittle me till I wanted to die. Quick way to only make a mistake once and always ask. Started designing 10% of the time while having to build everything I designed while still catching flack for everything, slowly gaining the respect of the older shop guys.
Second internship there was 50/50 shop and design. Still caught a lot of crap but started getting really close to everyone there.
Graduated college and they took me on full time. It was my dream job perfect balance of desk and shop time. Two years in the one owner steals all the money from the other.

That is the absolute best thing I have ever read! Ever! It's so good to hear that you got to learn how what you design affects others down the line. I'm an operator in a chemical plant. My shift manages to catch every new engineer that comes through the door. They put them on shift for 8-12 months, they do nothing, then they go back to their normal work. It would be nice if they actually let them run the job instead of just playing supervisor.

Back