Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhh, did you even READ the book!?? It was so much better than the movie.

Ugh... thanks for jarring loose this long forgotten memory, dammit.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8QCBOb22p-Y[/ame]

Uhh, did you even READ the book!?? It was so much better than the movie.
Panel #3.
cad-20061111-c5f2b.jpg

Coworker mentions she saw some movie over the weekend while we were eating lunch.

Just trying to make polite conversation, I asked, "oh, how was it?", expecting maybe a brief sentence or two in reply.

Coworker proceeds to begin describing, scene-by-scene, the entire movie, including notable dialogue exchanges, character backgrounds, what each character was "feeling", what characters were wearing, what their houses looked like, and pretty much the entire plot including all minor details. I don't even know if she liked the movie; she never got around to mentioning that part.

After about 15 minutes of her nonstop jabbering (and me nodding my head and saying "uhuh.... uhuh...." ), I had to interrupt her and told her I needed to get back to work. I was asking you if you enjoyed the movie, not for a play-by-play analysis. Dafuq is wrong with you? :confused:

how ungrateful you are to not appreciate her JRR Martin novelization of that movie

My janitor's standing in my office, eating King Cake (Happy Fat Tuesday, btw...) loudly, and sipping coffee even louder. Go pull some trashcans dude.

I'm an office manager and my desk is right by the main door. I work with all men (chick, here!), and they feel like they have to give me a reason every time they leave to take a piss...like I give a d@mn?! Just go take a piss, man...we've been in this "marriage" far too long for us to have a convo about it every...single...time. Same goes for your obligatory poop-shoot after lunch. Yes, I know that's where you disappear to for 20 minutes every day at 1:30pm. Over it. Let's skip the small talk, mmmkay?

My coworker who does only what is specifically listed in his job title, no more, no less, currently has a lull in his workload.

He just fell asleep at his desk while reading CNN.

Of course Karma hating me as she does, the BIG boss walks by as his phone rang, wakes him up and no one is the wiser.
Of course I am typing this as Big boss man is standing 2 desks behind me.

Engineers who design stuff for us to use that NEVER works. They never come see what we're working with. They just draw f'd up and send it to the machine shop. The machine does a great job, but since the drawing sucks, the fixtures suck. And every time it's the same response.."our computer model says it will work". Well dumbsh#t, we can't take your computer model to the track and race it, we have to take actual cars. Why don't you try getting out of the nerdery and find out what will work in real life.

"What does this mean, my browser isnt supported?"
Me: "You're in IE 9, and the site you are on needs to use IE 11 or Chrome, I'd just use Chrome"
"Huh?"
Me: "Chrome, the browser. Just open the site in Chrome. You have chrome right?"
"I have no idea"
Me... getting annoyed but not showing it: "Why dont you go into your programs and see if you have it."
"Uh?"
Me: "Please just click start. There, you have it. Now just go to the site you were previously in in Chrome."
"THANKS!!!"

"Ok I did it in Chrome. How do I know my changes are in my internet?"

"What does this mean, my browser isnt supported?"
Me: "You're in IE 9, and the site you are on needs to use IE 11 or Chrome, I'd just use Chrome"
"Huh?"
Me: "Chrome, the browser. Just open the site in Chrome. You have chrome right?"
"I have no idea"
Me... getting annoyed but not showing it: "Why dont you go into your programs and see if you have it."
"Uh?"
Me: "Please just click start. There, you have it. Now just go to the site you were previously in in Chrome."
"THANKS!!!"

"Ok I did it in Chrome. How do I know my changes are in my internet?"

Are you listening in on my phone calls? I get that at least 4 times a day

Yeah well, our machine shop comes to me every day asking how to find the drawing with the 1/4" NPT on it. They insist it does not exist, I deleted it, our company dog ate it or I just never drew it. Ask them if they tried typing 1/4" NPT into the database search. Of course they did. It just only works if I do it, apparently.

I don't know. Maybe they spelled it wrong...

Engineers who design stuff for us to use that NEVER works. They never come see what we're working with. They just draw f'd up and send it to the machine shop. The machine does a great job, but since the drawing sucks, the fixtures suck. And every time it's the same response.."our computer model says it will work". Well dumbsh#t, we can't take your computer model to the track and race it, we have to take actual cars. Why don't you try getting out of the nerdery and find out what will work in real life.

Real life? Explain...

I am with brewmw29 some engineers never leave the office to see what/how the constructed product is much less get feed back from those of us that have to fix it when it breaks. This includes the R&D department too: why did they choose to test that engine only under freeway conditions when 90% of the buyers run them in town for delivery duty? :confused:

xref - Things about your customers that annoy you

customer: I keep putting in a date of 4/31/2014 for this guy and it won't take it. keeps blanking it out

me: ...

customer: this report is not showing anyone on the list. Am I not running it correctly? or am I crazy?

me: why do you presume the two are mutually exclusive?

email from customer: this one guy isn't showing up on a report. I'm looking for members who were born in 1949 or earlier, have been active members for 35 years or more and have been with us for at least 15 years. we also want their status to be one of the Retired codes (status code starts with 'R')

my reply: does this guy fit all the criteria?

customer: no

me: ...

Sounds like there should have been a requirement, to be an engineer in this field, you had to have been a driver.

Yes, Joe-coworker, I put your exact question into google and sent you the results. I do this everytime you ask me a question, even when you are standing right there. You could do this for yourself, and I'm not sure why exactly you don't.

This process of sending me a question over email, then calling me to make sure I understood the question, then delaying your work until I get around to answering your question needs to stop.

I am also not sure who to be annoyed with. Is it his fault, for not realizing that this info is at your fingertips or not knowing how to use it? Is it management's fault, for not hiring employees with up-to-date technical skills or resourcefulness? Is it my fault for enabling this kind of thing?

Here, let me google that for you.

Real life? Explain...

I mean that just because something works on a computer model doesn't mean it works in the real world. If the engineers ever left their little room and saw how things really worked then maybe their projects would work out once in a while

Sounds like there should have been a requirement, to be an engineer in this field, you had to have been a driver.

I wasn't a driver. But experience and hands on goes a long way. Don't be scared to do something that doesn't involve a keyboard.

coworkers who insist on printing every damn email/thing they receive. Their explanation is always, got to have it in the "file' for "backup," yet none of them could find said file 2 weeks later. Sad thing is we have uber reliable IT support and automated backup. An additional backup is easy, and much less time consuming than keeping track of paper.

To make matters worse they allow their print jobs to litter the print room for hours on end, then wander around the office asking if anyone has seen what they printed.

A guy at work prints manuals for every stupid thing he owns. All the time. He printed a manual for his dish network remote. Every piece of a/v equipment a couple of times.

A guy at work prints manuals for every stupid thing he owns. All the time. He printed a manual for his dish network remote. Every piece of a/v equipment a couple of times.

I once printed a strategy guide type-thing for Diablo II that came in at 400 pages. Halfway through the ream, my boss asked what the hell I was printing and I told him. Then he fired me.

I was 15 and deserved it. Ha.

I once printed a strategy guide type-thing for Diablo II that came in at 400 pages. Halfway through the ream, my boss asked what the hell I was printing and I told him. Then he fired me.

I instituted a penny per page print and copy policy a little over 2 years ago. I have 40 cents if anyone is short buying a soda.

I mean that just because something works on a computer model doesn't mean it works in the real world. If the engineers ever left their little room and saw how things really worked then maybe their projects would work out once in a while

Exactly. My dad is a retired mechanical engineer and would constantly complain about the younger engineers addiction to technology - especially those that insisted that the computer model would work without any real life testing. He would actually go out into the factory where the products were being put together and ASK the guys on the assembly line how he could design the new products to make assembly easier (and faster - saving the company money in the process). In his last job before he retired he argued with the owners about designing the products so they could actually be used and not 100% trusting the computer model (because everything works in theory, right?). His arguments FOR common sense and usability got him fired and pushed him into retirement (which is great let me tell you!).

That's funny. He has printed more than that, but not that much at one time. Close to 100. Usually on nights.

The still prevalent obsession with paper in general.

I hear that.

My office instituted a new payroll software a couple years ago. During the development process, they touted it as a step towards becoming a paperless system, except nothing has changed. If anything, we have more paperwork to turn in than before. Paper timesheets, forms for time off, forms for overtime, some departments are required to fill out forms for each time they use a company vehicle (but only because they misused the vehicles on the clock). All of this was supposed to be handled electronically, but management can't or won't make the jump.

Paperless offices always tend to generate more paper as things need to be printed out, signed, re-scanned then submitted to parties B, C, D and E who then print them out, fold, spindle and mutilate them before re-scanning and submitting to the next round.

Getting calls from am experienced engineer that bills at over $100/hr wanting me to hold his hand through booking a meeting/conference room on our webmail interface. 15 minutes later I end up correcting the invite and resending it to everyone.

Printing manuals? Only if I'm doing work offsite or back in 1999. Ctrl+F helps save a lot of time.

Oh and I'm a young engineer and I love the hate- keep it flowing. Our shop guys are an immense resource that I don't overlook since they'll be building parts for us.

Our office's fancy new accounting system came with "paperless office functionality", which was a big selling point to us when we bought it. We spend a lot of money on paper and more on storing it.

Big joke that turned out to be; everything still gets printed out in duplicate and stored in file cabinets. All of my coworkers are ancient and skeptical of digital files, even when they are backed up super-redundantly to multiple drives located in multiple cities.

The lady in the office across from me. She has been on the phone for 45 minutes now talking to her sister about her son and his girlfriend going off to college woes. Once she hangs up, she will talk to the other lady in the office about this conversation for another half hour minimum.

She is one of the highest paid people in the building, and does nothing.

usually work from home, so no co-workers (except the Howdy and he's only annoying when he wants to play), but one day a week, like today, I have to go work at the boss' house.

the most annoying part is his wife, also working from home, usually on the phone with her friends, YELLING at each other (I can hear the other side of the conversation clear as day).

It annoys me that I don't work with a bunch of HBTers, of course, workplace drunkenness would probably increase by 632%.

a conservative estimate, wouldn't you say?

It was announced last week that a few contractors will be let go for budget reasons. This week, a new personnel/project management system was introduced.

It is so great, because the software was only $150,000!!!!!; or roughly what the 3 contractors would have made in a year.

I am all about improving efficiency, but these 3 people are now out of work just so the rest of us can begin using an electronic-micromanager. I realize these things have to be done sometimes, cost-benefit blah blah, but the trade off is now 3 productive workers are out of work while our productivity is now reduced because of the added time spent with the new software.

I'm sitting here eating my lunch. I have left the door to my office open so that important things can be brought to my attention. I have had 3 people stand in my office while I'm eating, telling me mundane, non-essential **** that could wait until tomorrow, let alone 30 minutes from now. One person even left and came back and tried to hand me documents. I just stared at her like her head was on fire.

Meetings...stupid, pointless meetings to make someone feel important for an hour.

Same goes for anything "team building" related. Kill. Me. Now. And. Fast.

blue ribbon.jpg

Back