What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and new to brewing. Today is one week since I brewed my first batch. From what I have learned here and other forums and online articles and in published manuals, I know that there should be some kind of bubbling through my airlock, that never happened for me. I know the brew is fermenting because I have already peeked inside and taken a gravity test. Also you can see pressure in the airlock where the water is pushed to one side in the "S" type and the cap was floating on the 3 piece one. I noticed beforehand that there was no seat around the rim of the lid. After not having any bubbling, I questioned the owner of the LBHS about the lid and he told me that the kit manufacturer doesnt put seals on the lid. He sells other buckets and lids and those lids have seals. He suggested that I put the lid on real tight. I sat on the lid and I weigh 230 and the lid still leaks. I other lids from my saltwater aquarium(the salt comes in 5 gallon buckets) and those lids have seals. I was going to clean and sanitize one of those but was thinking that the manufacturer or owner should give me a lid that works. I shouldnt have to pay for something that only half works. I am stuck because I cant take the lid off to return it because it is still fermenting. What would you do?

I wouldn't worry about it. Some people ferment without an airlock and you should never depend on airlock action to judge the progress.

Although it is nice to watch.

imperfect seals on lids with no gaskets is common. its not a big deal at all. mine doesn't have one and i'm lucky that i do get a decent seal, but its not perfect every time.

for primary, it doesn't matter.

for secondary, you wanna use a carboy and a bung or cap which will seal well enough to keep air out.

Ditto all of the above. Keep in mind that as close as 30 years ago, THE common way to brew was to place a towel over the open bucket. You will be fine.

Now…all that said, if you do decide to expand your equipment a bit, go with a good quality wine/beer bucket with the rubber seal. You can always convert your current fermenting bucket into a bottling bucket by adding a $3.00 plastic spigot.

I’m constantly wishing I had an additional primary bucket and better bottle.

Inventory4.JPG

ahh, so that's the infamous warped lid that got too close to the fryer eh BM?

does that brand bucket have a seal/gasket?

malkore said:
ahh, so that's the infamous warped lid that got too close to the fryer eh BM?

does that brand bucket have a seal/gasket?
Yepper.

Seals down tighter than a nats ass. Even with my little...er....uh...mishap, that lid still holds tight.

trainfever said:
I shouldnt have to pay for something that only half works. I am stuck because I cant take the lid off to return it because it is still fermenting. What would you do?

If you are making beer then it works 100%. Your expectations, at that price point, simply aren't reasonable. If you want a tight sealing system you're going to have to spend more. Leaky buckets make great beer. You really gotta relax, man. Uptight people don't make good beer. Seriously.

mward said:
If you are making beer then it works 100%. Your expectations, at that price point, simply aren't reasonable. If you want a tight sealing system you're going to have to spend more. Leaky buckets make great beer. You really gotta relax, man. Uptight people don't make good beer. Seriously.

How do you figure my expectations are not reaasonable? I was only going by what I have read and learned here that the airlock should bubble. I stated that I was a newbie and was asking advice as to what I should do. I think that maybe you should relax and not be so uptight.

Back