All grain equipment - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mikeysab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
staten island
Posts: 4,505
Liked 547 Times on 416 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post

I just don't think its easier or a time saver once you move out of the kitchen.
people get great efficiency with it. 5-10 gallon BIAB setups seem to get just as complicated as a mashtun setup.
I'm a lazy sob. I've done the traditional propane burner, cooler mlt, batch sparge, ice bath chill. It got to a point where the thought of taking out all the equipment deterred me from brewing. The thought of a single vessel system where i lift the grains out of the wort and turn the heating elements on makes my nipples twitch. Of course, theres the possibility i'll hate it and give up brewing, but it seems easier to me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter.
Mikeysab on untappd.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,860
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
I'm a lazy sob. I've done the traditional propane burner, cooler mlt, batch sparge, ice bath chill. It got to a point where the thought of taking out all the equipment deterred me from brewing. The thought of a single vessel system where i lift the grains out of the wort and turn the heating elements on makes my nipples twitch. Of course, theres the possibility i'll hate it and give up brewing, but it seems easier to me.
Try lifting a 16-20 lb. bag of hot, wet grain and you might decide it's not all you thought.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

SilverZero Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mikeysab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
staten island
Posts: 4,505
Liked 547 Times on 416 Posts


With the help of a pulley and a hook to tie the basket off to, i dont foresee a problem.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter.
Mikeysab on untappd.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,860
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
With the help of a pulley and a hook to tie the basket off to, i dont foresee a problem.
I'm sure that would work, but it sure doesn't make the whole process as easy as it sounds like it should be. For me, using a cooler would be much easier. To each their own.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mikeysab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
staten island
Posts: 4,505
Liked 547 Times on 416 Posts


If nothing else, i'll save time not sparging. The biggest time saver will be switching to electric. With two 5500w elements, water and wort will be heated much quicker than my old propane burner.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter.
Mikeysab on untappd.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts


a pulley works, a cheap harbor freight electric hoist work better (and easier)

but this is more cost and more complication. The method is sound but it quickly becomes not the cheapest and simplest way to brew beer that its often portrayed as. you quickly start designing your system so you can BIAB, rather than BIAB as a way to eliminate equipment.


I've seen electric hoist automated HERM's BIAB systems.

Denny Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
SilverZero
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Bend, OR
Posts: 942
Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
a pulley works, a cheap harbor freight electric hoist work better (and easier).
Great, now you've got me thinking about adding an electric hoist to my garage!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #18
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,860
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
If nothing else, i'll save time not sparging. The biggest time saver will be switching to electric. With two 5500w elements, water and wort will be heated much quicker than my old propane burner.
But you can no sparge in a cooler, too. Personally, I find the 5-7 min. it takes me to batch sparge is worth the extra efficiency I get.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

amandabab Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #19
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts


batch sparging is fast

Denny Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
mikeysab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
staten island
Posts: 4,505
Liked 547 Times on 416 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

But you can no sparge in a cooler, too. Personally, I find the 5-7 min. it takes me to batch sparge is worth the extra efficiency I get.
Ok. You convinced me....im returning everything and going back to my cooler system. Since it seems like thats the only way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter.
Mikeysab on untappd.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Grain Equipment!!!!!! Teampersiani For Sale 0 08-29-2012 01:25 AM
all-grain equipment luismatalon For Sale 11 05-15-2012 07:33 PM
WTT: All Grain Equipment For Your Ice Hockey Equipment nilswhite For Sale 12 10-14-2011 06:03 PM
All-Grain Equipment? FlemingsFinest Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-19-2010 12:52 AM
All grain equipment kit DanishBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 02-10-2006 12:54 PM


Forum Jump