Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Crushing grains with a coffee grinder?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
grimzella
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MOTITAN
I would use a rolling pin.....Or smash it with a hammer before I would chop it up in a grinder.
+1 this was done before when I left my grinder at home when brewing at a friends house. I had a few to many and couldn't drive to get it. Rolling pin rescue. it worked faster than I thought it would. efficiency was great. beer turned out perfect.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
How about an "ugly junk Corona mill"? You can get one of those for less than $30 delivered and with a bit of work you'll be doing all your grain with it.
+1 for my Ugly Junk Mill. $20 on amazon free delivery, you will have it in 3-4 days if you find a local seller/shipper.

Be sure to get one with a cover on the crush wheels, i didn't and grains go everywhere.

Check out the Ugly Junk posts, you will be suprised how many of use use them.

Fermenting:Sweet Stout
Kegged: Australian Ale

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 3026 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

I'm not too wild on using rolling pins,etc on 5lbs or more of grain. My way does get it fine,but the husks are still in fair size pieces. From what I've seen so far,the corona does about the same as my mini food processor. Maybe at tax time I can get a crusher?...

Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
grimzella
Recipes 

no argue there. however, they did the rolling, while I watched and drank. barley crusher they now have. no more rolling pins.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Experience: A chopping type coffee mill is totally unsatisfactory, even for BIAB, Sometimes you must actually test stuff to prove the reality matches the theory.

I tried both a chopping-type coffee mill and a Oster blender to reduce grains. Both created an uneven "crush" that included flour, whole grains, and everything in between. It took much longer than a grain mill to reduce the few handfuls I tried.

Now I take grain to the LHBS who gladly crushes it for free (because you always buy other stuff)

I decided not waste it and tossed the few ounces in the BIAB batch. Some of the fine flour got through the bag.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
grimzella
Recipes 

that... and, a good crush is critical for great efficiency. Grain mill cannot be overlooked for many reasons. it is WELL worth the investment. Barley crushers are lifetime warranty... I think. that alone is worth the consideration to buy. A tool with a lifetime warranty Ex: Craftsman.. snap-on If its gonna be used often.. that's one hell of an added bonus.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 3026 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

Yeah,the crush with the mini food processor is too fine. But the one called "the barley crusher" is $129. Being retired means waiting till tax return time. Efficiency is great,but the floury stuff gets through the bag. And I def need the super moss I finally bought to settle out the resulting proteins as well. Too cloudy too long for me.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
badgerbrew14
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Oh,yes- I resorted to using a coffee grinder because the rolling pin was too slow. I'd bought whole grains because I was going to be delaying a brew for a few weeks and was bringing the grains overseas back to Japan. Good grief. 45 minutes later I ended up with 14 pounds of decent rubble, but my efficiency ended up being only about 67%. I'm now waiting for my mill to arrive before the next AG... ;-)

Old 05-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #19
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrew14 View Post
Oh,yes- I resorted to using a coffee grinder because the rolling pin was too slow. I'd bought whole grains because I was going to be delaying a brew for a few weeks and was bringing the grains overseas back to Japan. Good grief. 45 minutes later I ended up with 14 pounds of decent rubble, but my efficiency ended up being only about 67%. I'm now waiting for my mill to arrive before the next AG... ;-)
Where abouts in Japan?

Old 05-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
badgerbrew14
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm up in Tokyo - you?