Hello from Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipman78

Reaction score
I just started my first brew today. Bought my kit from MODERN HOMEBREW EMPORIUM over here in Cambridge, MA and I have my first Red Ale fermenting as I type this. I can't wait till next week to begin bottling.

Speaking of this... I haven't bought my bottles yet. Should I go for the 12oz bottles? What about the ones with the wire hinge on the top? To my novice eyes, those just seem easier to cap, and have more capacity. What are their disadvantages? And where might I buy them? (are they much more expensive?!)

Can't wait to begin interacting with everyone else. Cheers!!!

- Matt

I prefer 22 oz. bottles. They fill twice as fast and I have a big mug. I only use the 12 oz. bottles also for bottom of the bucket and for sharing. The swing tops are kind of expensive if you are going to keep 150 or so. If you are going to brew every week and if you want to bottle condition for 3 weeks you will eventually need about that many bottles aquired over a period of time.

Welcome from down Providence way.

I also prefer to 22oz bottles. I have some 12oz for giving beer as gifts and some swing tops for my cider, but when I bottle I typically like to use the 22s.

Thanks gang. After posting this, I looked online and found the swing-tops on Amazon. They're about 4x the price of 12oz bottles. Yikes!

I'll research the 22oz's.

JadedDog... You're just down the street (Providence from Boston). Want one of my first beers? ;-)

I do!

I live in Waltham and work in Post Office square. And there is a home brew club very clost to you as well. The Boston Wort Processors. Check them out if meeting a bunch of people in person interests you. www.wort.org

Back