Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Adding fruit for flavor and aroma

Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
horrorclause
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding fruit for flavor and aroma

Hello,

I just brewed a 5 gallon Amber Ale that I want to add some fruit additions to in secondary. I was thinking blackberries and raspberries. How would I measure out the proportions for a good aroma and nice flavoring after taste? I was thinking of keeping it in secondary for two weeks before bottling and how would that affect the sugar content for priming?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
AgentHubcap
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You can use fruit puree in a can (I recommend 2-3lbs), or fresh/frozen fruit (4-6lbs). If you use fresh/frozen, make sure you sanitize the fruit by pasteurizing or soaking in starsan.

Depending on your grain bill, if you simply put fruit in it, you may end up with a beer that is too tart to drink without months of conditioning.

Either way, you'll end up with a stronger beer due to additional sugar. You can try using hopville or similar to see if it can calculate the additional sugar content.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
horrorclause
Recipes 

So would using extract just be the best route? To avoid making it too tart?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
AgentHubcap
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

extract gives a fake taste that I'm not fond of.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
bni
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I add 72oz frozen Raspberries. For a 5 gallon batch. I add to secondary the last 4 days. Always comes out just right.
Thaw the frozen raspberries out. And smash them really good in the bag. Sanitize the outside of the bag. And dump them in.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
norsk
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 43

What works for me is to start on the low end and adjust the amount of fruit added every other day or so until you reach the desired flavor and aroma you are looking for. I just brewed a Raspberry Wit to which I added 3 lbs of Raspberries which I put through the blender. I added another 1 lb 2 days later along with a 1/4 oz of extract which worked out great. Not a fan of fruit beers myself but this came out fantastic.

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk
What works for me is to start on the low end and adjust the amount of fruit added every other day or so until you reach the desired flavor and aroma you are looking for. I just brewed a Raspberry Wit to which I added 3 lbs of Raspberries which I put through the blender. I added another 1 lb 2 days later along with a 1/4 oz of extract which worked out great. Not a fan of fruit beers myself but this came out fantastic.
Yea but by doing that your risking oxidizing your beer every time you add more fruit. Easier and safer to just do it once and be done IMO. Not knocking your results, just sayin.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Here's a data point for what it's worth.
I have a cherry wheat that is almost ready to bottle. I used 1 49 oz can of Vintner's Harvest Cherry Puree. It has been in secondary for about 12 days.

It still has some bubbles on top but I am pretty sure that it is done. SG at 1.007. IBU's are near 45 - fairly well bittered.

The cherry taste is faint, but it is there. And I think it works for me, though it would suit my taste if it had more. I have had a number of craft cherry beers and they seem to be a bit overkill for my tastes.

I have read that raspberries and blackberries pack more punch than other fruits since they are more concentrated naturally.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
horrorclause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro55
Here's a data point for what it's worth.
I have a cherry wheat that is almost ready to bottle. I used 1 49 oz can of Vintner's Harvest Cherry Puree. It has been in secondary for about 12 days.

It still has some bubbles on top but I am pretty sure that it is done. SG at 1.007. IBU's are near 45 - fairly well bittered.

The cherry taste is faint, but it is there. And I think it works for me, though it would suit my taste if it had more. I have had a number of craft cherry beers and they seem to be a bit overkill for my tastes.

I have read that raspberries and blackberries pack more punch than other fruits since they are more concentrated naturally.
I was thinking of leaving it in primary for 14 days and then racking on top of about 4 lbs. blackberries and 2 lbs of raspberries. I'm looking for a nice blackberry aftertaste with a hint of raspberries. I read that the best method for adding fruit is to freeze the fruit to burst the cell walls, then soak in vodka for a day to sanitize then rack on top. And I would leave that in secondary for another 2 weeks and then bottle condition for 3-4 weeks. Any thoughts on that?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorclause

I was thinking of leaving it in primary for 14 days and then racking on top of about 4 lbs. blackberries and 2 lbs of raspberries. I'm looking for a nice blackberry aftertaste with a hint of raspberries. I read that the best method for adding fruit is to freeze the fruit to burst the cell walls, then soak in vodka for a day to sanitize then rack on top. And I would leave that in secondary for another 2 weeks and then bottle condition for 3-4 weeks. Any thoughts on that?
Sounds about right. You only have to let it sit on the fruit long enough for the secondary fermentation to finish and to let the yeast settle back out. At that point you proceed like you would any other batch of beer.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club