Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I caved in...

Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #31
wjohnsen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ditto that. I call it quality control.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #32
BadDeacon
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl
i think you should try every brew you make one, two and three weeks out to see how they evolve. You didn't cave, you're just diligent in your quality control
+1

Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5755 Times on 4121 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by citingzero View Post
I just always see a lot of posts that recommend leaving it in the bottle without touching it for 3 weeks. The sarcastic quotes are for people that are super serious and super against tasting before 3 weeks. What happened to the "relax" part of homebrewing?
Beats me! If I had to wait three weeks for my beer to have the "magic", I'd quit brewing!
Thanks for the reply- I was really a bit in the dark.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #34
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I am one of those who has found 3-4 weeks at room temp to be best. Generally, my beer seems to get better for the first 6 weeks at room temperature while bottle conditioning, but the difference between weeks 4 to 6 are not as dramatic as between weeks 2 to 4.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #35
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Beats me! If I had to wait three weeks for my beer to have the "magic", I'd quit brewing!
Thanks for the reply- I was really a bit in the dark.
I know that Revvy has a tendency to reference a video when people bring up bottle conditioned beer not tasting right. I don't have the link but it basically is a guy showing the difference between 1,2, and 3 weeks in the bottle. I believe that is where the three week group think thing comes from.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #36
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7

I know that Revvy has a tendency to reference a video when people bring up bottle conditioned beer not tasting right. I don't have the link but it basically is a guy showing the difference between 1,2, and 3 weeks in the bottle. I believe that is where the three week group think thing comes from.
Empirically, I think most people find their bottle conditioned beers' improvement curve starts to flatten around 3 weeks. I have not seen the video you referenced and don't think groupthink accounts for the 3 week consensus (such as it is.)

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowstream View Post
Empirically, I think most people find their bottle conditioned beers' improvement curve starts to flatten around 3 weeks. I have not seen the video you referenced and don't think groupthink accounts for the 3 week consensus (such as it is.)
I agree to a certain extent but personally I'm generally satisfied with carbonation at two weeks and about one week or less for low abv wheat beers. And then I have beers that just aren't worth opening up for a month or more. I think three weeks is a gross over-generalization and isn't really helpful for anyone.

I think from Revvy and others' perspectives that tout the "three week rule" is that it is something to tell people posting threads without doing a search for why their beer tastes like crap after two days in the bottle.