Mash tun leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregm61881

Reaction score
Hey all...
Ive been trolling around for a while and finally decided to step up and sign in. Thanks to everyone who's posted great info on this site.

Anyhow, onto the problem. I just built a igloo cooler mash tun with a weldless conversion kit. I seem to be having some dripping issues. The directions were vague and I think I have an extra part. They gave me 2 O-Rings.

The directions said:
Valve : cooler wall : O-ring : Washer : coupler

When I did this, it leaked. I then added the other o-ring on both sides of the wall, leaked again... The only way Ive been able to get this thing not to drip is to ditch the washer.

Valve : O-Ring : wall : O-ring : coupler.

It works and isnt leaking but its loose and moves alot with 2 thick O-rings.

I did try using some smaller thickness O-Rings as well as various washers and could get it stiffer but then it would drip. Seems as though water gets between the washer and coupler and runs down the threads and drips.

What are other people doing stack wise? Maybe there is something Im missing. At least its working for now but would rather stiffen it up if possible.

Additional info, there is thread tape on everything.

Thanks for the help.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Yeah, so the design with a SS washer against a coupling is pure crap. It doesn't work and shops that sell them like that have never installed one and leak tested it.

Don't put an oring on the outside either because the last thing you want to do is contain a leak into the cooler wall.

bulkhead.png

Thanks for the answer. Im glad to see Im not crazy thinking the SS washer was the culprit. Ill remove the outer O-ring. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers!
:mug:

Back