Clearing beer/ Chill haze..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyhaydon

Reaction score
Beer has been in cold cellar since monday, tastes and smells fine but hasn't cleared yet, could be a chill haze? I have some cheap 'chitosan' finings i could use, but would like to avoid this if poss.
Pointers to clear the beer in the keg? cheers!

If it's perfectly clear at room temperature, but gets cloudy when it gets cold, then it is chill haze.

Storing at 40 degrees for a week or two will get rid of the chill haze.

will go take a sample now and leave it at room temp for a bit. see what happens. i will report my findings. cheers for the help.

it cleared as i expected, have popped the radiator on down there, warm it up a little and give it some time to clear. thanks

When you brew again,try to get the hot wort cooled down in 20 minutes or less. This will greatly reduce or elliminate chill haze. Chilling the beer after conditioning for 3-5 days on average will settle it out as well.

Or do what I just did, add a 5kg bag of ice to a 10L boil. Pitch temp of 25 degrees Celsius in 3 minutes! Proteins are dropping out in the fermenter

Back