Going to Pittsburgh where can i get a good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson09

Reaction score
Going to Pittsburgh for work. Where van I get good beer. I like fresh IPA's.

It's been a while since I've been in Pittsburgh, but I spent a lot of time there. I remember there being a couple of bars on Carson street that had a decent selection. I don't remember their names and it's been a good 6 or more years since I've been there though.

Sorry, I know that's not much help.

Fuel and Fuddle in Oakland. Their tap list isn't extensive, but it's good, and includes a couple of their "house brews" which are actually made by Smuttynose. Good food too. Great place for lunch.

I live in Pittsburgh currently and Fatheads on the southside is a good place. I also like D's six packs and dogs. Sharp edge beer emporium is another good one

Look Mr. Jackson. I don't know you and you don't know me. So we can say that I have never steered you wrong.

If you go anywhere while in Pittsburgh, you need to belly up at this place:
http://primantibros.com/01locations.html

Their beer, meh, that sell a lot of Iron City beer I think it's called. But it's the sandwiches you gotta have with the fries. (or as they say sangwitch). Then you can go get a good beer somewhere else if you have room.

You can thank me later.

If you like IPAs you need to go to fatheads and have their head hunter IPA. It is amazing.

What part of Pittsburgh are you staying in?

As mentioned before Fat Heads in the Southside always has good beers ( you must try a Head Hunter) on tap and great bar food. Also on the Southside is Carson St Deli great sandwiches and good selection of tap and bottles. Smokin Joes Saloon in the Southside has a ton of bottles to choose from. Finally on the Southside is Pipers Pub. Killer food and great beer (they always have something good on cask).

Hough's in Greenfield is great. Over 61 beers on tap and many more bottles.

Church Brew Works in Lawrenceville is a great brew pub. Won a few medals at GABF last year.

If you are into Belgians then Sharp Edge Bistro is the place to go. They have several locations.

That's all I can think of now. Hope it helps.

Yeah, let us know where you're staying. That will help. Due to the varied, hilly terrain, Pittsburgh is a collection of neighborhoods and getting around is a touch more complex then our midwest neighbors.
if you're downtown, taxis are cheap to church brewworks and fatheads and Penn brewery and Primantis in the strip district.

+1 for church brew works. Their Christmas ales was amazing (although prob not available. Good food, cool atmosphere.

If you are staying north of the burgh Try North Country Brewing - while its a drive, its another great spot. Last I heard there was a new brewery opening in Butler... Hopefully their beer is decent. This is where I spend my summers as a snow bird.

+1 for church brew works. Their Christmas ales was amazing (although prob not available. Good food, cool atmosphere.

If you are staying north of the burgh Try North Country Brewing - while its a drive, its another great spot. Last I heard there was a new brewery opening in Butler... Hopefully their beer is decent. This is where I spend my summers as a snow bird.

Just looked, its going to be called Butler Brew Works. Will be a nice addition to the town.

From the Westin, you can walk to Primantis. Church brewworks is the same direction but wouldn't recommend the walk in the winter (maybe a mile and a half?), but a taxi will be $5. Heck, from there, a taxi will be $5 to fat heads, Penn brewery, sharp edge is a bit past church, and east end brewery is another mile out from sharp edge, etc. If you take a taxi (which should be easy to get from hotel location), try to make a deal with the driver to come back for you at a certain time (tip well). Taxis are a bit rare. Its not a big taxi town.

ALSO, check with the hotel to see if they have a courtesy shuttle! Many do. You schedule it at front desk, saying I want to go here at X time and get picked up at Y. You just have to get on the schedule.

Roland's in the strip dist. used to have a pretty good selection as well. If you get a chance check out the water feature across the street from the Westin. It's right next to the DLL Convention center. I did the concrete testing for that. :)

I reviewed those designs for the state.

oh yeah, I wanted to mention that the church got a new master brewer a year or so ago. Their specialties were infinitely improved after that.

Yeah unfortunately they just fired him though. No statement why especially after the medals at GABF

I went to the following:

The Church- DIPA was stellar. Luckily I'm not Catholic.

Hofbrauhaus- it wasn't on the suggested list but I felt compelled to visit as it wasn't to far from Fat Heads. Typical German beers. Well done if that's your thing.

Fat Heads- Certainly one stop shopping for IPA's. It was grand.

Rivertowne Pour House- As crazy as this sounds their White Beer was one of the better I've had. The menu suggested it was "world class" so I ordered it so I could pick it apart. Nothing to pick apart. The other beers didn't stand out.

Penn Brewery-what the hofbrauhaus would like to be. I'm a fan.

My Pittsburgh take always would be it's probably better to read the road signs rather than try to react to your gps when your downtown. Cabs are hard to come by. There were moments when I wished I brought a Sherpa. Other than that I love the city. Real human beings with identities live there. I'm looking at you Washington DC. Whats even better I just got a job about 45 miles away.

Thanks for the responses.

I went to the following:

The Church- DIPA was stellar. Luckily I'm not Catholic.

Hofbrauhaus- it wasn't on the suggested list but I felt compelled to visit as it wasn't to far from Fat Heads. Typical German beers. Well done if that's your thing.

Fat Heads- Certainly one stop shopping for IPA's. It was grand.

Rivertowne Pour House- As crazy as this sounds their White Beer was one of the better I've had. The menu suggested it was "world class" so I ordered it so I could pick it apart. Nothing to pick apart. The other beers didn't stand out.

Penn Brewery-what the hofbrauhaus would like to be. I'm a fan.

My Pittsburgh take always would be it's probably better to read the road signs rather than try to react to your gps when your downtown. Cabs are hard to come by. There were moments when I wished I brought a Sherpa. Other than that I love the city. Real human beings with identities live there. I'm looking at you Washington DC. Whats even better I just got a job about 45 miles away.

Thanks for the responses.

LOL! the part about following your GPS is so true.

Was in PA last summer and have a funny (not really) story to tell.

At my bachelor party my best man decided to dive into 3ft of pool water after nearly a gallon of wine. He split his head wide open and we loaded him in the car to take to the hospital.

GPS said 45 mins to the hospital. Got downtown and listen to the GPS in the "city of bridges". What a mistake! 2 hours later we made it to the hospital. Good thing it wasn't anything serious! He lived after 15 stitches.

Back