yeast shipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohof2

Reaction score
hello

how much time do you think a liquid tube of yeast can take and still be alive enough for starter? (without any refrigerated conditions)?

thanks

It's going to depend on the temperatures it's subjected to. Being from Israel, i'm sure you get lots of hot dry weather. Liquid yeasts won't fair well without ice packs or similar cool transportation methods. Dry nitrogen packed yeasts might survive up to about 48 c (120f) but even then would best be shipped cold. If you have no local homebrew source for yeast, order with the fastest shipping available. Just be aware that customs in your country can also slow things down a lot.

Honestly, i'd look for a homebrew shop in Israel. I know there are several breweries and brew shops in Tel Aviv. Not sure about other areas.

Liquid yeast? It's not as much a matter of time as it is shipping conditions. Too hot fries it, too cold freezes it. You’ll never know for sure. It's best to avoid buying yeast online at times of the year when it may be subjected to these situations. More than a few day shipping time starts to make me nervous. A smack pack swelling will give you an idea of viability, but an active starter is the only way to know for sure. I see Israel as your location. Good luck!

edit to say:
aiptasia beat me to it and did a better job.
(I type slow and wife interrupted)

Yeah I am from Israel and there are several home brew shops like.
but we have no liquid yeast at all so we are restricted only to the dry strains.
seems like there is no good alternative.

It has been a while since then my friend brought four tubes on plane from Ireland (with no special cold keeping stuff).
the yeast where extremely vital.
and from now on I have frozen yeast and no problem..
apparently yeast are survivors.

Back