Figs in Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerDeNoel

Reaction score
My buddy loves stout and has middle eastern heritage, so I was thinking of making a honey & fig oatmeal stout. Possibly some clove or cinnamon added.

I've seen other threads where figs are discussed, but they seem to lean toward lighter, non-roasty ale styles like Amber or Saison/Dubbel. Would fig flavor be noticeable or even desirable in a stout?

I'd just go ahead and try this with a pound or two of dried figs, but would rather not shell out that much cash for ingredients if there's either no flavor or the brew is a dud. Thanks and cheers!

Don't know if you tried this yet, but i had a 9 gallon batch of english/dry stout that i split into a 6.5 and 5. I threw 1.5lbs of home dried figs ( gdad made them for me ) on the 5 so i'll let you know how it turns out. Also threw a few oak chips on there so it might change a bit.

Try getting a wok (do yo uhave a wok? if not a big SS fry pan) blazing hot with NO OIL. Cut the figs in half and drop them in and stir. they will caramelize some. deglaze with a little rum or beer even (pull a cup or so out of primary) cover and let cool some and then add the whole mess right back into primary.

Do this after primary fermentation is more or less over.

Back