Sanitizing Dry Hops?!? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sanitizing Dry Hops?!?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Jul 2008
Liked 107 Times on 96 Posts

Hop acids kill certain types of bacteria, though certainly not all of them. The kilning process of hop pellet manufacturing will probably kill a lot of microbes. The alcohol present in fermented beer will kill a lot more bacteria than hops will. Fermented beer is also acidic and largely devoid of fermentable sugars, so it's hard to infect by much other than acetobacter (which needs oxygen), brettanomyces and a few other fungi that can eat dextrins.
Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

billdog Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #12
Apr 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My understanding is that the properties of hops (oils etc) and beer (alchohol, low pH, low/no free oxygen) do not kill bacteria so much as inhibit their growth and reproduction.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Jan 2013
Liked 86 Times on 68 Posts

Well, I (unintentionally) sanitized 2 ounces of lovely, fragrant 2012 Centennial last night while making a Two-Hearted Clone. Had just run sanitizer through the keg, forgot that I had about a quart left in the bottom of the keg. Popped the lid and dropped my sanitized paint strainer bag full of hops in without looking, closed back up. Realized there was an issue about 5 minutes later when I went to pick up the "empty" keg to fill up, and got way too much sloshing about. Dumped the dry-hopped Star-san into another bucket, and it came out a nice golden color with a lovely aroma. I kind of wanted to cry a little bit. Moral of the story = Star-san and Centennial do not mix. I have done 7 batches thus far where I have dry hopped, and aside from giving the hop package a good shot of Star-san from the spray bottle and soaking the hop bag in Star-san, I haven't worried about it and (thus far) have had no problems.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Sep 2012
, allenwood, nj
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts

I don't bother, You could drive yourself nuts trying to come up with ways to sanitze Dry hop additions. My feelings are that if your doing it right, your dumping them into an alcohol rich enviroment..... I also don't use a hop bag either, after all it all settles to the bottom eventually. Just dont siphon that layer, or use your dump valve if a conical
Manasquan River Brewing LLC

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Liked 160 Times on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by SudsyPaul View Post
I'm yet to make anything that requires dry-hopping, but from what I've read, you can just soak them in vodka before tossing them in.
where did you read this? there would be no point in adding hops to a beer that have already been soaked in vodka since the hop oils are soluble in alcohol. the long and the short of it is that hops DO NOT need to be sanitized before dry hopping.

patthebrewer Likes This