Wine filters - Do they oxidise wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrump

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of buying an inexpensive gravity fed filter to help clear my wine as suggested by my wine kit. My only concern is that the systems I've seen eg. 'Harris' filter the wine from the top of the carboy and drip drain to the bottom. Doesn't this introduce oxygen into the wine? I can't help thinking this is a bad thing after fermentation.
Any thoughts?

I use the drip system on every batch...so far, so good, but I always treat with K-meta during filtering. Takes 30-45 minutes to filter 5 gallons. Make sure it's clear before you filter. If the filter clogs up before it's finished it probably wasn't ready to bottle.

I use the drip system on every batch...so far, so good, but I always treat with K-meta during filtering. Takes 30-45 minutes to filter 5 gallons. Make sure it's clear before you filter. If the filter clogs up before it's finished it probably wasn't ready to bottle.

Even the instructions that come with the gravity filters say 45 minutes to an hour per gallon...

Latest posts

Back