Smack Pack/Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobot

Reaction score
I think I'll be brewing again this coming weekend. I have a wyeast smack pack which I haven't used before, and will be making a starter, which I haven't done before.
How many days before I make the starter should I smack the pack (giggle)?
How many days after making the starter should I boil?
Thanks in advance!
:mug:

Since I started making starters I've always used White Labs so no smacking involved. If I remember correctly, when I used Wyeast I would smack 4-6 hours prior to pitching.

As for the starter, I always get that going 2 days before brewing.

You can do what you like or what you feel is right. But when it really comes down to it there's no real "correct" answer to that. The only time I made a starter with a Wyeast smack pack I just smacked it and poured it in to the starter. No swelling required. I had it on a stir plate for 36 hours and then pitched. I saw fermentation within 9 hours at approx 72 degrees. But if you feel like being more cautious then do it your way. Either way I think you'll be fine.

A few hours before you make the starter. I like to use the smack pack as just that last way of checking to make sure you have good yeast. If it bloats, go on ahead.

Thanks, guys! If I don't need a starter, then I won't bother this time. The OG of the extract kit (NB Dead Ringer) is 1.064, and NB suggested a starter. It would be my first, but if it's not necessary, I'll skip it this time.
:mug:

Ahh that's no fun. Gotta try new things. Just make sure you have a blow off tube on your fermenter to avoid having beer on your ceiling.

It isn't absolutely necessary to make a starter but you should.

A very fresh pack contains about 100 billion cells, an average beer needs at least twice that amount to be in the optimum range.

The inner pack contains nutrient and is only there as a proof that the yeast is still viable. If you are making a starter you do not have to smack the pack at all.

Check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information on starters.

Learn to make them and do it for every brew that is over 1.040 and you will be making better beer.

Added: IMO it is necessary to make a starter for a beer of the gravity you are making.

I'd make a starter for all beers if you're using liquid yeast. An OG of 1.064 I must certainly recommend a starter. Smack pack an hour to three hours before pitching into your starter. Make the starter a day or two before you plan to brew. See the sticky for how to make a starter if you're still apprehensive about it. Super simple actually!

Note that If you are making a multi step starter (which you probably don't need for this beer unless your yeast is old) you should plan on needing a bit more time -3 days per step: 2 for fermenting, one to cold crash.

Back