RIS Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthedlin

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe with US-05 and WL High gravity yeast. The starting gravity was 1.097 and in 2 weeks it was down to 1.009! I couldn't believe it. Mashed at 152F. Needless to say the beer is boozy as hell. Plan was to throw it in a barrel but since it dropped so low, that is out of the question but I think it will get better with time.

Couple questions:

Why did this happen? My thermometer is calibrated. A beer starting at 1.096 should not drop that low and that quickly! I've never used the WL high gravity yeast, but is that why?

Since I think it will clean up over time and be good, I wanted to try to add body back to the beer (and help balance it out). I was think of adding maltodextrin or lactose but I don't know how much to add. How would I figure out how much to add to bring up the gravity? Is there a formula somewhere?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Batch Size: 11 Gallons
OG: 1.097
FG: 1.009
ABV: 11.7%

21 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
4 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
3 lbs Rye Malt
2 lbs 3.0 oz Chocolate Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt - 20L
1 lbs Smoked Malt
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
6.4 oz Roasted Barley
4 lbs Turbinado Sugar
8.0 oz Molasses
3.00 oz Columbus - 90.0 min
1.50 oz Columbus - 15.0 min
1.50 oz Columbus - 5.0 min

Yeast
2L starter of each
US 05
Super High Gravity Ale - WLP099

It probably dried out so much because you put 4 pounds of sugar in there. For a RIS you want some body in the finished beer so next time cut out the sugar and use more base malt to get to the OG you want.

4.5 lbs of sugar is a lot. 20% sugar, is high in most beers except for Belgians. That will get you a low FG.

I've never used it, but WLP099 is posted at >80% attenuation. That's another reason for your high attenuation. I think the yeast choice + sugar explains the low FG.

I really have a problem with messing with beer once fermentation is done. If it tastes decent, I would run with it. Adding 'stuff' to help it might just ruin it.

Latest posts

Back