A question about perfect machines - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A question about perfect machines

Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
All machines wear out eventually.

MC

Even a perfect one? So "perfect" was the wrong word to use, eh?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
stevereigh
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Seattle, WA
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Is this a metaphor for parenting? If so, I got nothin'.
It may be a metaphor for his manly parts and he's just not enjoying that whole "I'm getting really old" feeling...

Reason: unecessarily vulgar

Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
maxamuus
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Utah
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereigh View Post
It may be a metaphor for his manly parts and he's just not enjoying that whole "I'm getting really old" feeling...
Except he is a she.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Airplanedoc
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
Except he is a she.
The same could still be true, if she was dissatisfied with her partner

Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

You talking about an eternal, or perpetual, perfect machine? The amount of engineering that would go into such an item is rather daunting. Unless it has no actual moving parts that is, where nothing can wear, ever. While you can have/make something that lasts a looooong time, chances are it will eventually wear and be less than perfect. Maybe, in the future, there will be self regenerating materials that are [essentially] eternal. The best we can do, currently, is make things very wear resistant. Through lubrication impregnation, or different super-low friction platings/coatings/etc.

IMO, a design, or concept can be 'perfect' but once you start to try and manufacture it, things tend to go sideways. I also believe that the universe abhors perfection, so you have that working against you. Even IF you can get something produced that appears to be perfect today, look at it again in a few years. See how 'perfect' it is then.

Actually, there IS one thing that you can get in perfection... The perfect idiot.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
All machines wear out eventually.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You talking about an eternal, or perpetual, perfect machine? The amount of engineering that would go into such an item is rather daunting. Unless it has no actual moving parts that is, where nothing can wear, ever. While you can have/make something that lasts a looooong time, chances are it will eventually wear and be less than perfect. Maybe, in the future, there will be self regenerating materials that are [essentially] eternal. The best we can do, currently, is make things very wear resistant. Through lubrication impregnation, or different super-low friction platings/coatings/etc.

IMO, a design, or concept can be 'perfect' but once you start to try and manufacture it, things tend to go sideways. I also believe that the universe abhors perfection, so you have that working against you. Even IF you can get something produced that appears to be perfect today, look at it again in a few years. See how 'perfect' it is then.

Actually, there IS one thing that you can get in perfection... The perfect idiot.

Ahhh, thank you, I will get back to what I was doing....

Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
where nothing can wear, ever.
Quote:
appears to be perfect today, look at it again in a few years. See how 'perfect' it is then.
What if you thought nothing could wear, ever, and it still sprung a leak? And you called it perfect... Oh okay, I think I understand...

Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
What if you thought nothing could wear, ever, and it still sprung a leak? And you called it perfect... Oh okay, I think I understand...
By definition, if it 'sprung a leak' where there was no leak before, then something DID wear.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

So then you would realize it was never perfect in the first place?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
dale1038
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Louisville, KY
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

...and the first signs of the Colorado, Washington State legalizations have reached me here in Kentucky. If I was back in Pullman I would totally have an opinion on this.

passedpawn Likes This