Mason jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecheberline

Reaction score
Can I use Mason jars to bottle my hard cider? I would rather use over bottles. I'm just not sure if they will handle the carbonation

No, they won't hold carbonation at all. They are meant to pull a vacuum, for canning, and so won't seal with any pressure from the inside. Also, the glass isn't rated for carbonation so even if they do manage to seal, they will explode.

... and aside from that, if you put your cider in mason jars, what are you going to put your moonshine in??

;)

Works great for still (non-carbed) cider. They make half gallon jars which are very inexpensive compared to growlers. I pour them into and server from a pitcher though... something about the aesthetics of having a jar of alcohol on the table doesn't always work with my guests.

As Yooper said, they don't work at all for carbonation, years ago I tried to bottle beer in them (some 'expert' told me it would work, it doesn't). It is pretty safe though, the tops pop way before they will burst.

Latest posts

Back