A B hop give-a-way Hallertau

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
So i drove the 100+ miles to St. Louis to score some hops. I was hoping for saaz, but ended up with a couple of pounds of hallertau. i have used it some, but not a lot. so i am wondering what to brew. Was thinking of a Hallertau IPA! Any other good Hallertau heavy beers? i usually make a lot of pale ales and ipas so i may need to branch out! thanks, Chia :mug:

Belgian IPA SMaSH

10 lbs Munich or 6 lbs Munich extract (that's a thing, right?)

1 oz Hallertau @ 60
Go nuts with late hops
Dry hop with some more

Ferment with some Belgian type of yeast

That's just me spit balling, but it's a start and a good way to use up a lot of those hops

Nightshade said:
Hefes and Dunkles use it

That's all I've used it in. IIRC, it's a pretty low AA, like low 4's. don't know how it would work in an ipa, but who knows. Give it a shot and post results.

It'll go in any kind of German ale or lager, most Belgians. You can even use it in virtually any beer that doesn't call for much hop aroma. Like stouts, porters, reds, whatever you like. Hell, a Maris otter / Hallertau SMaSH is one of my favorite batches ever.

Belgian IPA SMaSH

10 lbs Munich or 6 lbs Munich extract (that's a thing, right?)

1 oz Hallertau @ 60
Go nuts with late hops
Dry hop with some more

Ferment with some Belgian type of yeast

That's just me spit balling, but it's a start and a good way to use up a lot of those hops

This. I've done a Hallertau IPA before (and Saaz too) and they were really good. I love using Munich as a base. Belgian yeast would be awesome; so would anything clean to taste the sublties of the noble hop. I'd probably do 2oz at 10 mins, 2oz at flameout and another 4 dry hop.

use it in many of my german beers . . . "festbiers", marzens, Helles, maibock, alts, etc. Would be good in american lagers, american wheat, Other good suggestions above, belgians, use it in a SMASH first maybe to get a feel for the flavor.

I use it in a Pils all the time.

I use it in ales when I want to add something else to it like fruit or wood. The hops are there for bitterness and a bit of aroma, they support the beer but stay out of the way.

I grow my own Hallertau and use it every year in a fresh hopped harvest ale. Basically all Munich with a bunch of Hallertau. Works just fine.

It'll go in any kind of German ale or lager, most Belgians. You can even use it in virtually any beer that doesn't call for much hop aroma. Like stouts, porters, reds, whatever you like. Hell, a Maris otter / Hallertau SMaSH is one of my favorite batches ever.

have been thinking about a SMaSH! have actually never made one, so this is a perfect opportunity!

This. I've done a Hallertau IPA before (and Saaz too) and they were really good. I love using Munich as a base. Belgian yeast would be awesome; so would anything clean to taste the sublties of the noble hop. I'd probably do 2oz at 10 mins, 2oz at flameout and another 4 dry hop.

What ibu were you shooting for here?

I am thinking of the following 10g recipe, thoughts?

-15lbs. Dark Munich
-10lbs. 2-row
-6oz. Hallertau whole leaf @ 60
-4oz. Hallertau whole leaf @ 15
-4oz. Hallertau whole leaf @ flameout
-8oz. Hallertau whole leaf dry hopped
-WLP 550 Belgian ale yeast

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.9%
IBU: 45
Color: 16L

I want some fruity flavor but not a strong banana flavor...any advice?

Yum. No specific IBU in mind, but your ratio looks good.

Start your fermentation cool, like 62ish. Keep the ambient steady and cool, but let the yeast temp rise freely once it starts going. The goal is to have it peak at 72ish, 75 tops. Really just keep it below 80 and you'll be fine with that yeast.

Should be tasty!

Back