Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Doomsday Preppers

Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Felixio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If the bottles are radio active, then wouldn't it just be a matter of time before the contents have the same problem, even if they were spared the original blast of radiation?

And true, wild yeasts may not be the correct style for what we're brewing, that's why it'd be more likely that you'd end up brewing to match the yeast more than adding yeast to match your brew. It's also why cider and wine was such a strong suggestion, they'd grow with enough natural yeast to start furmentation. Though, if you could track down a bottle in the style you're looking for on lees, then you'd have hit a gold mine! But that'd be tough.

Also, I know it's not supposed to be mentioned, but if there is a collapse, then distilling is back on the table. Whatever nasty, nearly drinkable beer/wine you brew could easily become something marketable.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 AM   #22
Nettie
Recipes 

Default How long do kits really last

Can you stash brew kits that have malt extract and a vacuum sealed milar bag of hops etc.? I use milar bags to store my long term food storage (some of it) and am wondering if I could buy kits and repackage or put them in food grade locking lid tubs etc. Wine is always a great option, and even brandy from a good wine if you have a distiller. Nice to have options in a disaster!! I went through hurricanes when I lived in VA and one of the best things was when a neighbor brought me beer from the store she worked at because the power was out and it was getting warm!

Nettie

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #23
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
Can you stash brew kits that have malt extract and a vacuum sealed milar bag of hops etc.? I use milar bags to store my long term food storage (some of it) and am wondering if I could buy kits and repackage or put them in food grade locking lid tubs etc. Wine is always a great option, and even brandy from a good wine if you have a distiller. Nice to have options in a disaster!! I went through hurricanes when I lived in VA and one of the best things was when a neighbor brought me beer from the store she worked at because the power was out and it was getting warm!

Nettie
Dry malt extract could be stored, but hops or liquid extract would not have a long shelf life. . Wine is your best bet.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 AM   #24
DrunkleJon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1615 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Look into gruits. Hops arent necessary. There are many other plants and herbs that can be used for the bitterness and flavors unless you are in hop country like the Willamette Valley.