I made an AG Imperial Stout, and used the second runnings to make a "porter". Both used WLP-002 which is similar to the WLP-005. In my Michigan basement, temp was around 68 degrees.
I put the IS in a water bath - glass carboy sitting in a tub of water to help regulate the temperature and provide a thermal mass to get rid of the fermentation heat. I was not able to do this with the "porter".
I when it came time to put the IS in secondary, it tasted amazing. Smooth, roasty, full bodied - everything I hoped for and more. No esters that I could pick up and I was looking for them, because I was kind of worried about my fermentation temps.
The "porter" didn't go into secondary, it went straight to bottling. I almost
didn't bottle it because it was almost like a Red Stripe, if you ground up bananas and put it in a Red Stripe bottle. But I figured I might as well bottle it since everything was ready. Two weeks out, it was pretty bad. Four weeks out, getting better... It's been over three months now and I've gone through about half the batch and wish I hadn't gone through that much. It's getting much better with age. Just let it sit and chill and it will probably get better with time.
I am all but certain that the porter's internal temp was well above the ambient temperature in the basement and that this was the source of my esters. I unintentionally did a side by side test
You may want to check out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/
for a short novel from Revvy on the subject - it matches my experience. Don't give up on your beer!