Question on secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToysRUs5o

Reaction score
I let me beer sit in the primary for 1 week then transferred to the secondary. It has been in the secondary for 7 days and has a thin layer of light bubbly looking foam. I put my beer thief in to get a sample took a reading and after putting the airlock back in it started to bubble like crazy as if it's fermenting still. Is this normal? I am making an English IPA.

You probably transferred before the fermentation is complete... yes, that's normal. If you're going to use a secondary (which are becoming increasingly less common), you shouldn't do so until you have at least two gravity readings that have not changed. Your beer will likely come out fine, although it may finish a little high in gravity.

Let me be the first of many...

You don't need to secondary. 2-3 weeks in primary works great, better in fact because it allows the yeast to clean things up. Cheers!

Back