Damn I'm stupid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
Just need to vent here.

So, I sell cars for a living at the moment. Started little over a month ago, doing really well so far. Today we get a loaded Genesis coupe in, first one we've had since I've been there. Everyone who works there can test drive any car they want. So, 3 or 4 guys have already driven it and are talking how fast it is, etc etc. So, my dumb ass takes it for a test drive. I'm careful not to speed where cops usually sit. Then pull off on a side road and floor it out of a stop sign. Turns out, there's a guy walking on the other side of the street sees me...and the dealer tags.

So, I pull back up to the dealership...General Manager is waiting on me. Apparently, guy called the fuzz and the fuzz calls the dealership. Anyhow, he chews me out and says if it happens again I'm fired.

Pretty embarrassing...and the thing is I don't blame him at all for being pissed. Now, I'm worried he'll hold it over me. Guess I'm fortunate to still have a job though.

That is all.:drunk:

Pretty lame... The thing is that nearly everyone does things at work they ought not to, people talk bad about their bosses, bosses talk crap about their employees, and the only thing that keeps the whole system working is that most of the time nobody finds out about it. But eventually something like this happens, and when it does it sucks.

I would just give your boss a week to cool down. Then approach him later and feel the situation out. Tell him you're sorry and feel really ashamed and want to make sure he understands you will never do anything like this again. If he is a decent understanding human being and your performance is typically good everything should be fine. If you think this is going to cause a long term problem you might want to think about moving on. Sometimes a fresh start is good.

If its any consolation, I just bought my wife a Genesis a couple weeks ago, and I had never had a car that wants to go so fast. On a straight stretch of highway it will do 100 and still feel like you're driving "normal".

Did you tell your wife?

I haven't told my girlfriend yet. She's out of country at the moment, so I probably will wait. No reason to worry her with this right now.

I read a fairly complimentary article on the Genesis coupe just this morning.
Was the one you lit up the 4 banger or the 6?

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I read a fairly complimentary article on the Genesis coupe just this morning.
Was the one you lit up the 4 banger or the 6?

Cheers!

I'm bit sure they make a 4... It's the 6 or the 8. The new new 8 is 460hp :eek:

I would just give your boss a week to cool down. Then approach him later and feel the situation out. Tell him you're sorry and feel really ashamed and want to make sure he understands you will never do anything like this again. If he is a decent understanding human being and your performance is typically good everything should be fine. If you think this is going to cause a long term problem you might want to think about moving on. Sometimes a fresh start is good.

I have to disagree with you here, bottlebomber. Now, this is purely anecdotal, but every boss I've ever had never wanted an apology or an explanation. All they wanted from me was to fix myself and perform to their standards. An apology or an assurance that it won't happen again is meaningless if your future performance doesn't back it up. Everybody ****s up every now and then and a decent manager knows this. If the boss is half way good at their job they will notice improved performance without any words needing to be exchanged. Just my two cents.

nukebrewer said:
I have to disagree with you here, bottlebomber. Now, this is purely anecdotal, but every boss I've ever had never wanted an apology or an explanation. All they wanted from me was to fix myself and perform to their standards. An apology or an assurance that it won't happen again is meaningless if your future performance doesn't back it up. Everybody ****s up every now and then and a decent manager knows this. If the boss is half way good at their job they will notice improved performance without any words needing to be exchanged. Just my two cents.

I agree completely, but these approaches aren't exclusive from each other. Of course the boss needs to see him not racing the cars he's trying to sell. But touching bases with his boss will create a level of personal understanding that is also valuable. In a lot of businesses people go through their day to day routine and never really speak with their employer. I've seen people who maintain a close relationship with their boss pass up other employees who have a better work ethic. Close communication is always good. A job is a lot like a marriage in that respect.

I've seen people who maintain a close relationship with their boss pass up other employees who have a better work ethic. Close communication is always good. A job is a lot like a marriage in that respect.

You have a very good point, but me personally, I'd rather have the good work ethic and get my promotion based on merit rather than my ability to schmooze. Is it the best way to get ahead? Probably not. But if I know I have a job because I earned it and not because I play golf with the boss every Friday, I'd be much happier. Of course, you can go both ways with this. If you have a better work ethic and maintain a good relationship with your boss, well then you get the best of both worlds.

An update, yesterday I sold a car at sticker...made boss man happy. He made a joke about the incident, so it's behind us. Oddly enough, I've accepted another job offer today (nothing to do with this incident). Weird how these things work sometimes

And the coupe comes in a 6 cyl and 2.0T 4 cyl. This was the 348 hp 6 cyl with track package; 3,389lb curb weight.

Back