Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Weak tasting cider

Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Brew2Be
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
A little acid blend and/or a little wine tannin might help, adding some crab apples will help quite a bit. A lot of wine yeasts can strip out a lot of flavour, especially champagne yeasts. I use ale yeast for ciders now, they work great. I usually add a couple of cans or FAJC (thawed) to the juice to make it even more appley & boost the ABV.
Regards, GF.
I agree about the flavor stripping. I decided to use Lalvin 71B-1122 for this cider in the hopes that it would preserve more flavor than the EC-1118 i usually use for many things.

I think i will try to order some ale yeast as you say, since they seem to be quite popular for cider. I am excited to see how this batch with 71B-1122 turns out.

Cheers

_

Old 09-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1721 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 4295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew2Be View Post
I agree about the flavor stripping. I decided to use Lalvin 71B-1122 for this cider in the hopes that it would preserve more flavor than the EC-1118 i usually use for many things.

I think i will try to order some ale yeast as you say, since they seem to be quite popular for cider. I am excited to see how this batch with 71B-1122 turns out.

Cheers
FYI: the 71-B yeast will actually metabolize some of the malic acid in your juice, up to 20% if I remember correctly. This will "soften" your cider/wine, though a lot of the percieved flavour in apples is from malic acid, so you might notice another loss of flavour with the 71-B. There are some who like the softer ciders/wines, so it might work well for you if that's what you like.

Like I said, I'd use an ale yeast (Nottingham), but if I had to use a wine yeast, I think I'd go with Steinberg, Red Star has it in a dry form. Here's a link to a list of wine yeasts & their properties that you might find useful:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Brew2Be
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
FYI: the 71-B yeast will actually metabolize some of the malic acid in your juice, up to 20% if I remember correctly. This will "soften" your cider/wine, though a lot of the percieved flavour in apples is from malic acid, so you might notice another loss of flavour with the 71-B. There are some who like the softer ciders/wines, so it might work well for you if that's what you like.

Like I said, I'd use an ale yeast (Nottingham), but if I had to use a wine yeast, I think I'd go with Steinberg, Red Star has it in a dry form. Here's a link to a list of wine yeasts & their properties that you might find useful:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.
Thanks for the info I hope it turns out alright anyways

_

Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm using K1-V1116 to help aleviate this same problem.