The Hunger Games is a horrible turd of a film. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Hunger Games is a horrible turd of a film.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts

The wife talked me into it. I got about 45 minutes in. Had to quit it. So awful. Teen angsty nonsense where none of the characters actions make any sense. HORRIBLE. Do not watch -- that is all.

Have a nice night all. End ramble.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
cfonnes
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Utah
Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

It was no where near as good as the book, but it was not as bad as most flicks that Hollywood produces these days.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA

I could understand a 14 year old getting into it -- surely that was the target audience. The defense "not as bad as most flicks that Hollywood produces these days" is no defense at all!

To each their own. As someone who never read the book(s), I thought the film was garbage.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA

Why are adults reading "young adult" novels anyway???

Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
cfonnes
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Utah
Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Why are adults reading "young adult" novels anyway???
You don't read much do you.

I thought that the Harry Potter series would have put an end to questions like that.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
ajlee
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have to agree that after the books the movie was a huge disappointment. It did not do the book justice at all.

I guess as long as I'm talking about disappointments, I'd have to include the third book as well, but the first two books were great.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
DerCribben
Recipes 

Apr 2012
West Tisbury, Martha's Vineyard, MA
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes

You don't read much do you.

I thought that the Harry Potter series would have put an end to questions like that.
I kinda thought Harry Potter was the beginning of questions like that. I've read many, many, many books, I do read a bit less these days but that's mostly due to the fact that in life these days if I stop for a moment my pesky body tries to go catching up on sleep again (the nerve). I've read the Percy Jackson books, and Eregon and Elder, still haven't read Harry Potter but I know they are great and I surely will someday. The question still nags though, why do most adults these days read adolescent fiction? Is it because life is so heavy that we need to immerse ourselves in something light and dumbed down? I mean, when I was in 5th grade I was reading adult sci-fi/fantasy like Heinlein and Piers Anthony.

Back on subject though, I didn't hate the Hunger Games. Never read the books. I guess movies need to be appreciated for what they are trying to do. If you try to hold everything to the standard of Schindlers List, The Godfather, Goonies, or The Dark Knight then you're really going to be disappointed 95% of the time you go to the movies. If you go looking to be entertained, and realize the target audience is 16 years old and try to reawaken the sense of childish adventure then you might walk away having been entertained. Go looking to catch them with their pants down then you will likely find what you were looking for, to be irritated by the flaws you were looking for.

Call me crazy but I'd much rather walk away entertained...

Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3183 Times on 1883 Posts

Watch any of the Battle Royale Movies(at least the first one, ) and read the books. It's Japanese version of what the Hunger Games is a watered down almost direct rip-off of (even though the author of HG claimed never to have heard of Battle Royale- The parallels are just too uncanny.)

Much better movie....As ****ed up and twisted as only the Japanese can make something.

There's just something totally f-ed up about a girl in a school uniform holding a doll, covered in blood with this grin on her face. Definitely not the sanitized Mcdonald's Happy Meal toy kinda movie HG is....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

bigbeergeek Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
phenry
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts

I couldn't even finish the first book, there's no way I'm wasting my time trying to watch the movie.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2011
aston, pa
Liked 133 Times on 93 Posts

That movie did suck! What was up with all the crazy outfits and hairstyles looked like a city of drag queens !? Oh and release the digital hounds lol

bigbeergeek Likes This