I brewed Yooper's Anchor Steam clone
on Sunday afternoon. Didn't do a starter, nailed the O.G. (1.050), pitched at ~60 degrees. Fermentation began in earnest about two days ago (Monday night), and temps are holding steady in the swamp cooler at about 60-61 degrees (ambient temp is a steady 69-70).
I was doing some digging around, and noticed that some folks (including Yooper herself
) suggest doing a 24- to 48-hour D-rest with this strain. I haven't done a D-rest before (all ale, all the time), so wanted to make sure I've got the right idea. I plan on leaving it in the primary for the full 3 weeks rather than digging the secondary out of the crawlspace. So, here's what I'm thinking:
- Wait until bubbling has slowed down a bit
- Take hydrometer reading to verify that I'm at ~80% of FG
- Take bucket out of swamp cooler, leave in ambient temps
- Pace around the living room for two days
- Put bucket back in ~60-degree swamp cooler
- Let sit for two weeks at ~60.
Does that sound about right? Is this sort of step even necessary at these temperatures? Am I overthinking this?