Tried and proven great wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBeer247

Reaction score
Does anyone have a really good red wine recipe? I'm not much of a wine drinker but im looking for something really good to make and than give out for the holidays. I'm not looking for a fruit or spiced or holiday wine

do those product top quality wines? I've found beer kits usually produce good beers but the recipes here in the database are usually better

Well, in order to make a good red wine from fresh wine grapes you need to be quite an expert. You have to harvest the grapes at the right time, adjust the acidity appropriately, check the brix, ferment, press, ferment it out some more, have it undergo MLF, then sulfite and then age and then bottle. This should take about 2-3 years total for one batch. But you really do have to know what you're doing, and there isn't a "recipe" as it is simple: "grapes". Wine grapes are for sale in the fall in many places, with lots of different varieties. I've done pinot noir with awesome results.

A kit is normally the way to go for non-expert vintners. And yes, they can be quite good. A less expensive kit (under $80) makes "ok" wine. A good kit, with grapeskins and more juice (less concentrate) will go for about $150 and up. Those make very good bottles of wine, suitable for giftgiving. I like Cellar Craft Showcase kits, and Grand Cru kits.

Latest posts

Back