Getting back into it, Raleigh, NC Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, i've been browsing through the forums lately. A few friends from college have been slowly convincing me to get back into homebrewing now that i've graduated college and have the time, and disposable income to brew again. I home brewed for about 1 1/2 years while in college (all grain of course) and had to quit (....lets just say take an extended break) to due time constraints, chemical engineering and free time don't really go hand-in-hand together.

Anyways, anytime i pursue a new hobby I have to learn something from it, Since i've had a pretty good background in home brewing, I also had a summer internship at a microbrewery as well, and my senior design project was losely based on brewing (this is another story). So I knew i could not just get some burners, pots, coolers, and whatever else and just start brewing.

After searching the forums i've seen a lot of people automating their systems and using hot water heater elements and using and electric heat source vs gas. AHA!!!!! :ban:

So, I'm planning on building a small scale (2.5-3 gal batches) automated set-up, I've been browsing peoples set ups on here and getting ideas, but i'm still pretty far off. I've purchased some arduino-clones to begin experimenting and learning about using/building systems from micro controllers. I do not have a back ground in programming or building electronics, but...I'm a pretty fast learner.

I figured i would go ahead and make my introduction. If there are any brewers in the Raleigh/Durham surrounding area, let me know. It never hurts to have brewing friends.

Welcome back to brewing! There are a lot of active brewers in this area. I live in Durham and have a 5+ gallon electric rig. Happy to help out any time. Have fun!

seatbelt123, i may have to get with you sometime to check out your rig and how you built it. I'm more of a hands on learner, so as much as i read and research I learn a lot more seeing it in person. Is any of your system automated, or is your heat source just electric?

Wake-Forest-Azeotropes said:
seatbelt123, i may have to get with you sometime to check out your rig and how you built it. I'm more of a hands on learner, so as much as i read and research I learn a lot more seeing it in person. Is any of your system automated, or is your heat source just electric?

Happy to meet up on a weekend to show you what I did. Mine is not automated. I designed it to be super simple: single vessel, biab, 120 (and probably <15amp). PM me if you want to catch up!

Back