Fermenting in Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I have to have temp control in the summer, so I've been fermenting in my keezer at normal ale temps, meaning that my kegs serve pretty warm. This isn't the end of the world, but it would be nice to have my fermentation AND cold kegs.

I'm thinking about getting some reptile heat tape for my carboy and another temp controller, then just stick it in my keezer at normal keezer temps. Anyone do this? Does your freezer cycle a ton more?

Does anyone run standard keezer temps and warm their fermenter with a brew belt or reptile heater? I understand that if I do this it means I'm paying to heat up my keezer and then paying to cool it back down, but if I insulate my fermenter with some reflectix wrap or something, it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I've not tried this, but my guess is it should work. In order to avoid excessive cycling on the keezer, I would use a ferm wrap heater like this, http://morebeer.com/view_product/16674//The_FermWrap_Heater, and I would place the temperature probe away from the fermenting carboy. It might also be beneficial to have the carboy on the freezer's hump that way it's elevated from the kegs. I would think that setup would be effective and minimize the amount of extra cycling.

I second temperature controlled fridge/freezer works good too :D

Back