how long should I leave beer after bottling? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long should I leave beer after bottling?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
DMartin
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Hagerstown, Maryland
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

As I'm reading this first post, I'm thinking,

"3 weeks at 70 degrees minimum to carb up, that's what Revvy says. Hmm, isn't Revvy always telling the story about his Belgian Strong that took 3 months?"

Then I get to the third post...

cml21 Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Jul 2011
New Bern, NC
Liked 272 Times on 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinbrewer View Post
It was my girlfriends older sister who does a bit of home brewing herself. Thanks every one! I didn't even .know there was a specific amount of suger needed for carbing up! I always just used a small suger spoon in each bottle! Will defiantly be carbing up properly next time!
If you're using about a teaspoon of cane sugar per 12 oz bottle, you might have bottle bombs - could be hazardous. I'd like to hear some other opinions, but I would release the pressure in the bottles, wait for the priming sugar to ferment, and then re-prime in the bottles with the right amount of sugar. Some of the old guidelines called for 1/2 level teaspoon per 12 oz bottle.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
y6y6y6
Recipes 

Oct 2011
San Diego, California
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

3-4 weeks before it's ready is a good rule of thumb.

But it's beer already. And it's your beer. And you'll learn by experimenting. Don't be afraid to chill and open some early to see how the process goes. Sure, you'll go through the beer faster, but why is that a problem?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Liked 722 Times on 563 Posts

Save yourself a lot of hassle in the future and just prime the whole batch in the bottling bucket. Its usually a 1/2 cup(4oz) of sugar give or take a quarter oz.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Gz Up, Gose Down
Primary : Key West Best Bitter
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Watermelon Berliner, Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Cypress aged Chocolate Stout, Oak Aged Chocolate Stout, Smoked Porter
On Deck : Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club