Lurker finally joined

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonMakesBeers

Reaction score
Hi all,
been reading the forum for a while and finally joined. still nowhere near the operation some of you gentleman have but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC so cut me some slack :)

Hopefully someday I have a house with a basement or more resources but for now I still dabble with making my own beer.

My first introduction to making beer was in November 2011 when my girlfriend gave me this:
http://www.beermachine.com/

it is pretty simple and probably pretty hard to mess up as I did 3 batches and they all came out fine as a beginner. Pretty foolproff, although flavor options are somewhat limited and you can not add/customize much.

I recently acquired this kit:
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/instructions

I have noticed members of the forum are very helpful so I will start with 1 question. In this process there is a 2 week period during which the beer is placed in a dark place.
Being it is summer in NYC and I live in an apartment building where I do not entirely control the temperature and I really do not want to run an air conditioner 24 hours just for my beer, do certain beers lend themselves better to summer or warm weather brewing than others?

thanks in advance.

Saissons and Belgians will tolerate higher fermentation temperatures.

You can search swamp cooler if you want a cheap way to bring temps down for other styles.

Welcome to the site!

Wow, I haven't seen the Brooklyn 1gal kit before. You could also try extract brewing, bfore jumping to a full mash, but that wasn't your question. How warm is your apartment? The tub in your bathroom (hopefully it is older and metal) if probably the coolest and darkest location in the apartment. And as dubman mentioned, a cheap cooler (especially when your making 1 gal batches) is a good route to go.

Thanks for the good question. I live in the semi-tropics without any recourse to air-conditioning, so Saissons and Belgians it will be! That said, I have noticed some cooler microclimates around the house, especially during the winter months when things drop down to the 60Fs. Brewing in 90F+ weather is going to be a little challenging, though, so I hear you about needing to pick the right kind of beers.

sorry i disappeared, life took over and brewing beer was on the back burner for a bit but I plan on doing 2 1 gallon batches tommorrow.
so i was realieved to get responses saying there are styles that ferment well in warmer temperatures.

i am also seeing this as a positive. in the winter my building pumps the heat. so if i were to leave the windows closed in a room i could brew summer beers in the winter.
in another room i could leave the windows open (somewhere i do not sleep) and it would be like "winter" even though my building tries their best to make sure it is 80 degrees inside year round.

Back