Belgium triple ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very simple Tripel recipe that is classic is this.

80% Pilsener
20% sugar
Hop to a BU:GU ratio of .37 using noble hops like Saaz or Styrian Goldings.

Yeast of your choice. I like 3787 or 1214.

Very simple and tasty.

A very simple Tripel recipe that is classic is this.

80% Pilsener
20% sugar
Hop to a BU:GU ratio of .37 using noble hops like Saaz or Styrian Goldings.

Yeast of your choice. I like 3787 or 1214.

Very simple and tasty.

This will give you great results. I like to add 1 lb munich for a 5 gal batch to give it a little malt complexity. Fermentation temperature control is the key to making a good tripel. Pitch yeast at 64-68 and slowly ramp up to 72-76. The higher temps at the end will help the yeast finish and get a lower FG. Also, mash at a lower temp to get a lower FG, 146-150F. After it's finished let it age for a couple of months and you'll have a nice tripel.

This will give you great results. I like to add 1 lb munich for a 5 gal batch to give it a little malt complexity. Fermentation temperature control is the key to making a good tripel. Pitch yeast at 64-68 and slowly ramp up to 72-76. The higher temps at the end will help the yeast finish and get a lower FG. Also, mash at a lower temp to get a lower FG, 146-150F. After it's finished let it age for a couple of months and you'll have a nice tripel.

Yes, I sometimes add a little Munich also, but the basic rexipe is very good.

I also like to pitch low and slowly get the temp up. Also give it plenty of time to fiish. Belgian yeasts can take a long time to get the last few ponts of attenuation.

I would start with the basic pils/sugar recipe for your first, and then adjust from there. I like WLP500, but there are other good ones to use.

Yes. Pils malt, 10-25% table sugar, and no other grains. OG 1.075-1.085, Saaz hops at 60' and 20'-40' (not much of them in the later addition), BU:GU .25-.45, Wyeast 3787, ferment warm (75F or more) for a week and then cold crash (as cold as you can get the beer without it freezing) for two weeks, then pitch more 3787 and bottle.

Yes. Pils malt, 10-25% table sugar, and no other grains. OG 1.075-1.085, Saaz hops at 60' and 20'-40' (not much of them in the later addition), BU:GU .25-.45, Wyeast 3787, ferment warm (75F or more) for a week and then cold crash (as cold as you can get the beer without it freezing) for two weeks, then pitch more 3787 and bottle.

I'd say that pitching at 75F is a little high. You may get quite a bit of fusel alcohols and the beer will not be as smooth. When you pitch at 75 how does it taste?

Back