DIY Tap Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the grain vials. Great idea. I hope that lasts a long time for you. I think I'd put hops in one.

I've changed up what's in my vials a few times. I don't have any leaf hops on hand. Pellets didn't look very good to me. A friend grows hops so I'll swipe some cones from him this year for one of the vials.

I bet pellet hops would look like rabbit food in a vile. I don't think I'd want that either. Do the leave hops go had after a while in there? I wonder if you could fill the tube with a gel or some sort of clear glue that would keep air out so they wouldn't go bad.

I think someone else mentioned sealing the cap so you could put the beer in it. I would think if you can seal out the air you might be okay for a while with the hops. I grow my own hops and plan on doing this later in the year.

I will say, super glue did not work at attaching the bolts to my vile caps. snapped off quick. Re attached with hot melt glue. So far so good.

I wanted to have a tap handle for when I make sodas that differentiates itself from my beers... My wife happened to have an old coke bottle laying around from her grandfather's house. I didn't want to risk drilling into the bottom of such old glass, so I just superglued a 3/8 - 16 coarse thread nut on the bottom of the bottle... came out pretty good - and will look even better when I get my perlicks Wednesday :D

scaled.php

After looking in all the pages on tap handles I decided to change mine up. I dug in the depths of my toolbox looking for something that I have not seen yet. So here it is

album.php

Here's a recent picture of my vial taphandles with the ferrules bolted to the lids. The first handle has layers of various grains, the second has oats, the third has wheat, but is off-screen in this shot. I've changed the contents a few times.

taphandles_small.jpg

I made another one last night using one of These Miniature Kegs. I had recieved it as an xmas gift several years ago and had saved the miniature keg container for whatever reason. I used some emery cloth to remove the miller lite logo, drilled a hole in the bottom piece, used 2 washers and a 3/8-16 nut... It's looking pretty sweet on there!

You need a post count of at least 25 before pics will show up. Once you cross that threshold the pics will magically appear. That feature helps keep spammers at bay.

Finally DIY'd a tap handle today

It's made of moose antler with a threaded insert. Drilling it was easy but threading the insert into the very hard antler was tough.

B

2984-img-0072.jpg

Kinda hard to see since its not totally done yet. Took a wooden tee ball bat, cut it, and inserted a thread adapter. $11 total.

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of hex nut to pick up from home depot for threading onto a tap handle. I plan on buying a few and welding them to random things.

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of hex nut to pick up from home depot for threading onto a tap handle. I plan on buying a few and welding them to random things.

I'm going to pull the semi-*******, semi-niceguy here... read the f'in thread. So I'm not giving you the exact answer.

That said... I bet if you go back one page, you'll find the answer. :edit: Since my post bumped this to one MORE page, go back 2 pages.

On a serious note, if there's a thread about a subject like this, there's a good chance that if you read it, you'll get the answer you're looking for. Do a little homework before you post next time.

I'm going to pull the semi-*******, semi-niceguy here... read the f'in thread. So I'm not giving you the exact answer.

That said... I bet if you go back one page, you'll find the answer. :edit: Since my post bumped this to one MORE page, go back 2 pages.

On a serious note, if there's a thread about a subject like this, there's a good chance that if you read it, you'll get the answer you're looking for. Do a little homework before you post next time.
No you pulled the A-hole route

How do you get the screw insert that is in the table leg for screwing into a table top out? I found a bunch on Lowes.com and will probably grab some to make a cheap handle with the insert.

How do you get the screw insert that is in the table leg for screwing into a table top out? I found a bunch on Lowes.com and will probably grab some to make a cheap handle with the insert.

I used them upside down (partly yo avoid the phalic look:D).
taps_R.jpg

most are using them with a ferrule like this as a double female connection-
20200-C-ChromeFinial-b1.jpg

is that what you were looking for?

Back