My experience with pineapple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
well I just got done bottling my pineapple wine and when I first started fermenting it, it smelled like a waste managment site lol. After bottling it still has a strange rotten banana smell too it and it burns the whole way down. Drinking it reminds me of going to the dentist, you dont wanna do it but you know you should... All in all this is the most disgusting wine I have ever tasted and I will never be making this EVER again..Even after backsweetening it is only slightly easier to drink then black velvet lol. If you do manage to get a bottle down it does get you higher then a kite but it is a struggle the whole way through. Anyways just thought Id share my experience lol cheers.

sometimes the most informative posts are when people share something that didn't work out or they screwed up. Could you post your recipe for the pinapple wine? Worst thing i ever made was a coopers beer kit -- it was 3.3lbs of LME and I added 3 lbs of table sugar - per directions. It smelled like cheap brandy, and tasted almost like a watered down cola with a little whiskey in it. The only batch i've poured out.

Sounds delicious.

Please post a video of you taking a drink. I'd love to see your face after each sip.

i dont think it is infected but maybe it could be,I know it has atleast 13% alcohol in it from my SG to FG and also the fact that it burns while going down. the must smelled great but after i pitched the yeast it was down hill from there, And I have not aged it at all but It is bottled now, all the other wine I have made has been drinkable young but this one is just pure foul. yea I can post the recipe:

recipe per gallon

1.5 qt pineapple juice(i used dole)
1.5 lb sugar
1 campden tablet
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 tsp acid blend powder
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
water to make a gallon
champagne yeast

it is out of a recipe book I got as a gift

What temp did it ferment at? Higher temps during fermentation can cause some very funky off flavours. Sometimes they can be aged out.
Regards, GF.

our basement usually stays below 70 degrees, maybe ill try aging them out and see what happens. It sucks because I only have 2 bottles left of my other wine and it rocks haha, Guess thats what happens when you get out of your comfort zone...

Bringing this post back from the dead... You have to age wine usually minimum 1 year, most fruit (non-grape) wine taste bad/off/awful when drinking before they are aged. I’m doing 5 gallons of pineapple wine now and will reply in a year to let you know how it tastes

Ok, I gotta share my story on this.

I once saw a recipe for “onion wine” and remembered that scene from shrek, “Ogres are like Onions”

So I made a onion Mead calling it an Ogre Mead.

Young, it was undrinkable. I would serve it to people to watch their face as they reacted to that first taste.

Fast forward a couple years where I had a friend visit my brewery for the first time ever. I’m like, I got something special for you…

He took a sip of the ogre Mead. And said this is great! And I’m like, wtf?

Take the glass back. Sip it. And it was heaven on a golden cloud.

Moral of the story. Don’t knock a young wine. It just might be awesome with age.

Ok, I gotta share my story on this.

I once saw a recipe for “onion wine” and remembered that scene from shrek, “Ogres are like Onions”

So I made a onion Mead calling it an Ogre Mead.

Young, it was undrinkable. I would serve it to people to watch their face as they reacted to that first taste.

Fast forward a couple years where I had a friend visit my brewery for the first time ever. I’m like, I got something special for you…

He took a sip of the ogre Mead. And said this is great! And I’m like, wtf?

Take the glass back. Sip it. And it was heaven on a golden cloud.

Moral of the story. Don’t knock a young wine. It just might be awesome with age.

Oooo. Sounds nice. Onions for for mead? YES.

Back