Too late to plant rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Cincinnati and I was wondering the same. I was thinking about picking some up this week if they're in stock at the LHBS. I figured it can't hurt to throw them in the ground.

You might not get any yield, but you'll at least end up with a crown that will give you a big head start next season.

Buying rhizomes this late might be more of a problem than planting them...

Cheers!

It's never too late to plant! Just kidding, you're still in a "growing" season, and like was mentioned, at least they'll root and hopefully produce a crop next year. But then again, I planted some Cascade rhizomes in the beginning of April and the darn things have hop flowers started already!

I think planting season is late March-April here, but better now than next spring.

there are a few places that sell planted rhizomes that have started growing, or whole crowns. That will get you a jumpstart, not sure if you will get any hops this year. You KY/OH guys know anything specific to this area to watch out for? like bugs, watering schedule, etc?

just ordered planted hops, I can update when they come. they are more expensive, but should all be healthy so you dont have to worry about rhizomes that don't sprout.

I'm in Mid-Michigan and I'm gonna give it a shot... but then again I don't know a thing about growing hops. If ya try I'd love to hear a update later on.

Here in upstate NY, I planted mine two weeks ago and they've broken through the soil already. The newports were up first and are already ~6" long. The santiams are next and the centennials have just poked their heads out of the ground.

You can still plant rhizomes.

Centennial and Mt Hood planted in April and May are approaching 2+ft so far. I noticed the Centennial has lots of holes in the leaves and I've seen some small ant looking bugs on the leaves.

Would neem oil be a good product to use? Or just let it go? It doesn't seem to be hampering growth at this point.

Or tell me to just search for the 4 million other threads that probably discussed this ad nauseum.

Stuartmr - A local grower here in his 5th year told me he only uses neem oil because he is going organic and he said he hasn't had a major problem yet with any bugs so I would say start with that and if it continues then look for a chemical to combat them.

Hi

Plant away, they will grow and that's about all anybody can be sure of. I would not count on a massive crop from anything I plant this year. Next year is always going to be your target.

Bob

Back