Local Craigslist find - 15 gallon barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenab

Reaction score
http://killeen.craigslist.org/grd/2969700870.html

5W15M15J23Ke3M53Lcc4k10307fb43a1e1d16.jpg

I'm looking for these exact barrels for fermenting 10 gallon batches. The seller claims they aren't food grade. When asked why he said they held car wash soaps and related chemicals.

How would you guys feel about washing, sanitizing, and using these for fermenters?

Thanks
-Steven

Looks pretty grimy to me. Not sure what chemicals being in them and what may hanging out in the plastic I think I would pass. No scientific reason just because I don't put car wash in my beers!

My LHBS was selling a 20 gallon for 40 or 50 bucks then a few weeks later I saw they had 3 more on display and the price dropped to 10 dollars heh.

If they were stainless I'd have no problem using them. Not so much with plastic. That's kind of worrying.

Thanks for the replies! I'm in central TX, and I'm planning a trip to Austin Homebrew for my b-day in August. I think I'll pass on these and see what I can find down there.

Back