I haven't brewed in a while, and I wanted to do an easy sour. The idea being I can make a trial attempt or two, hopefully nailing it down so I can have a great batch ready for my wife after she gives birth this summer. She LOVES sours. So, that said I'd like any input people have on this recipe I came up with. It uses the same basic process as Morkin's All-Grain - Alferman Imperial Berliner Weisse
. I changed up the recipe a bit though to (hopefully) make a more traditional Berliner Weisse. Here's my recipe.
Wyeast 1007 - German Ale
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
Batch Size (Gallons):
Boiling Time (Minutes):
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
3 # German Pils
3 # German Wheat Malt
1 oz Liberty 3.9% AA 15 min
I wanted a good soft profile, so I'm using Pilsen as a target. I'm starting with 8 gallons of RO that I'm treating with:
) - .6 grams ~ 1/3 tsp
epson salt (MgSO4
) - .5 grams ~ 1/10 tsp
salt (NaCl) - .2 grams ~ .03 tsp
75 min Mash In Add 7.5 qt of water at 162. F 150.0 F
I'm going to use Morkin's method for creating a homemade lacto starter:
"Crush a cup of grains and add them to a Cup of Water at 130 degrees and put that combination into a jar for a starter. I used an old honey jar, but a starter flask or any jar will work. Let that ride out for about a week prior to brewing. It shouldn't smell bad, but of an extreme lactic smell should be evidence that you have a good culture."
After Mash and the short boil I'll cool the wort to 100, transfer to a carboy and pitch the Lacto starter. After 2 days I'll pitch the German Ale yeast.
Hopefully, after a month it'll be right on target. Then I'll keg and carbonate to 3.5-4 volumes.
I'll be brewing this a week from saturday, and I'll definitely post updates as I have them.